RV Wreck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And while you are at it, put something nice and heavy way on the back bumper, that will add to the fun and excitement!!!!!

Old Racer said:
And while you are at it, put something nice and heavy way on the back bumper, that will add to the fun and excitement!!!!!

And when your TT already has its axles centered to make it tongue light...yikes! I just hope the passengers were OK.

P.S. I'd guess his bumper wasn't even rated to carry that much weight so it was an accident in waiting.

I am sorry for them.  However, I am surprised that there are not more accidents like this. Too many people don't have the patience to pull a TT or FW at speeds that could avoid many of the accidents.  We move at 60 mph and many of our RV friends pass us like we are doing 40 mph.  It is sad.  People don't understand that the fact that the unit can go faster doesn't mean it can be safe.

RVRAC said:
I am sorry for them.  However, I am surprised that there are not more accidents like this. Too many people don't have the patience to pull a TT or FW at speeds that could avoid many of the accidents.  We move at 60 mph and many of our RV friends pass us like we are doing 40 mph.  It is sad.  People don't understand that the fact that the unit can go faster doesn't mean it can be safe.

Why feel sorry for stupidity. I feel sorry for the passengers but not the idiot driver.

Why is it CA is the only state that mandates ALL vehicles towing a trailer - the Speed Limit is 55mph?

That should be Nationwide IMO.
There would be so many less wrecks.  Sometimes it's true that Speed Kills.

Funny thing in that video is I never saw him trying to slow down.  Isn't that one reason that the brake controller have a manual
brake lever so when the trailer starts to sway you can activate the trailer brakes to help prevent what we saw in the video?

He must have been doing 75mph, possibly more.  Towing a nice long trailer with added bumper weight,  a light truck (or SUV), what could go wrong?  But hey, the salesman said it was OK.

RedandSilver said:
Why is it CA is the only state that mandates ALL vehicles towing a trailer - the Speed Limit is 55mph?

They are not. Most people, INCLUDING MOST LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS do not know the law all that well. but in many states if you are a 'Consist' (Semi truck, Car/Trailer, Truck Trailer) it's all the lower "Trucks" speed limit

in Arizona it is legal tow a trailer 65 mph.....so that means everyone goes 70 and slows down a bit when they see a cop.

That film looked like AZ.

about half the states it is legal to tow 65 mph.

Passing a semi truck with a van trailer is dangerous. The pressure between a camper trailer and the truck's trailer is lower than the outside of the trailers. That causes the trailers to be pushed together enough that instability can occur. That's the likely cause of this crash, not just speed. Semi truck drivers know about this, but not camper trailer tow-er's. Ever notice that trucks don't drive at speed next to each other?

it's more likely that semi truck was already driving the max speed...and the guy towing the rv couldn't stand it being behind a semi truck.

IMO>  it was impatience and speed that caused all that.

The video shows the trucks speed and it looks like the trailer was going nearly 10 MPH faster,  Somewhere between 75 & 80 MPH.

Ever notice that trucks don't drive at speed next to each other?

No. I can't count how many times on the interstate I've seen one truck passing another with no more than a mile an hour speed difference, and sometimes even seesawing back and forth as they go up and down hills, thus being side by side for a few miles.

I have noticed that most truckers, unless they are passing a lot of vehicles in a row, tend to remain in the right hand lane, which is what the law often asks for anyway.

MO - same as a lot of other YouTube videos.  As setup with professional drivers, demonstrationg, or recording, a stunt.  Chances of a semi driver having a dash cam going in advance of a wreck, like that, not very high.  No brakes, or evidence of slow down?  Lots of time to recover from that "sway".  Stunt drivers get paid very well for doing those things.

phil-t said:
MO - same as a lot of other YouTube videos.  As setup with professional drivers, demonstrationg, or recording, a stunt.  Chances of a semi driver having a dash cam going in advance of a wreck, like that, not very high.  No brakes, or evidence of slow down?  Lots of time to recover from that "sway".  Stunt drivers get paid very well for doing those things.
Dash cams run the entire time the vehicle is in motion. Saving any section just requires pushing a button after the fact. This is not a set up or a stunt driver, this is real life.

SeilerBird said:
Dash cams run the entire time the vehicle is in motion. Saving any section just requires pushing a button after the fact. This is not a set up or a stunt driver, this is real life.

Yup.  Just an opinion.

timjet said:
Anybody know if the occupants were killed or injured.
Again - no details, accident report or anything other than a video clip.  I don't place a lot of faith in internet videos.  I've seen and witnessed too many setups that will misguide most folks.
So, for me to believe in that video, I would need some more info.

Liveleak.com just doesn't seem like a really good source to me, and I wouldn't put forth the effort to try and verify that video.

Mighty expensive stunt, if it is a set up Why waste the money and time for no payback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom