RV Wreck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were going downhill. Truck had his jake on before and while being passed. TT may have been pushing pickup.

It is all clear to me now, this was all a prank probably done by a bunch of teenagers. They simply hired an 18 wheeler and a guy with a CDL, then bought a GoPro and set it up. Then they paid a stunt driver to risk life and limb driving a rented SUV pulling a trailer that was purchased just so it could be wrecked. Then they got the cops to close down a few miles of highway and staged this whole stunt. Of course there is no way for anyone to make money off of this clip so they were just doing it to kill time. Those crazy teens. ;D

the truck and trailer speed law in Washington is 60 mph.  So everyone was speeding.

phil-t said:
MO - same as a lot of other YouTube videos.  As setup with professional drivers, demonstrationg, or recording, a stunt.  Chances of a semi driver having a dash cam going in advance of a wreck, like that, not very high.  No brakes, or evidence of slow down?  Lots of time to recover from that "sway".  Stunt drivers get paid very well for doing those things.

Glad we have experts to analyze these things for us.  But this expert evidently never heard of dash cams that run constantly in trucks and RVs so as to be able to prove what happened should an accident occur.  Stunt drivers huh?  Hope you were just kidding.

Bill

Bill N said:
Glad we have experts to analyze these things for us.  But this expert evidently never heard of dash cams that run constantly in trucks and RVs so as to be able to prove what happened should an accident occur.  Stunt drivers huh?  Hope you were just kidding.

Bill
Nope, no expert, never said I was - it was just an opinion based on a little experience. (the opinion part, I had stated)  Maybe wrong - maybe a high paying stunt - that's all.  Glad to see that we do have some experts though.  :p  AND if real - I'm glad everyone is OK - hope they had a good insurance policy.
Oh - I do know what dash cams are and how they work.  Not all of them are the same.  8)

We have dash cams in both cars and the MH. They run all the time when the motor is running. No big deal.

RedandSilver said:
Why is it CA is the only state that mandates ALL vehicles towing a trailer - the Speed Limit is 55mph?

That should be Nationwide IMO.
There would be so many less wrecks.  Sometimes it's true that Speed Kills.

Funny thing in that video is I never saw him trying to slow down.  Isn't that one reason that the brake controller have a manual
brake lever so when the trailer starts to sway you can activate the trailer brakes to help prevent what we saw in the video?
  Sorry I feel just the opposite, 55 has caused a lot of accidents in my opinion, now I'm not saying if the speed limit is 80 that you tow at 80 but 65 is good in my situation, as a matter of fact, I tow at 62 in California now and the CHP goes by paying no attention.

Here is a list of the top 25 reasons for automotive accidents. Speed is number two on the list. Actually going the speed limit did not make the list. I always drive 55 on the freeways and I have never had an accident. I feel if there is no one near you it becomes very difficult to have an accident. So I don't tailgate anyone and I let no one tailgate me. No one drives next to me. Towing and speeding is just plain crazy.

https://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advice/top-causes-of-car-accidents/

SeilerBird said:
Here is a list of the top 25 reasons for automotive accidents. Speed is number two on the list. Actually going the speed limit did not make the list. I always drive 55 on the freeways and I have never had an accident. I feel if there is no one near you it becomes very difficult to have an accident. So I don't tailgate anyone and I let no one tailgate me. No one drives next to me. Towing and speeding is just plain crazy.

https://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advice/top-causes-of-car-accidents/

Have to smile Tom.  You live in Florida and always drive 55?  Most are going 45 and not looking in their rear view mirrors to see the carnage behind them.............lol

Bill

JFN said:
  Sorry I feel just the opposite, 55 has caused a lot of accidents in my opinion, now I'm not saying if the speed limit is 80 that you tow at 80 but 65 is good in my situation, as a matter of fact, I tow at 62 in California now and the CHP goes by paying no attention.
You can drive an Rv towing anything you want, going any speed you want in CA.

The CHP will never pull over an Rv because that driver very likely does not have the prober license to drive that large motor home or tow that large 5th wheel trailer.  So now they have to tow it off if the freeway and impound it.

Speed and lane enforcement is only done on Comercial vehicles. 

TonyDtorch said:
You can drive an Rv towing anything you want, going any speed you want in CA.

The CHP will never pull over an Rv because that driver very likely does not have the prober license to drive that large motor home or tow that large 5th wheel trailer.  So now they have to tow it off if the freeway and impound it.

Speed and lane enforcement is only done on Comercial vehicles.
Crazy post, I have been pulled over in an RV in California.

Been driving trucks in CA for over 40 years...the only time I've ever seen an rv pulled over,  was a class C that was going 70 mph pulling a trailer in the Diamond lane. 

You can see motorhomes with a toad going 70 in the #2 or fast lane every day.    But If you ever get near the fast lane in a 3 axle commercial truck it's an instant $400 ticket.  I got one in the #2 lane, and asked the CHP why he lets RVs do it...and he said "Because You should know better".  ???

An off duty CHP once told me....yes, the possibility of having to impound the RV weighs into the decision of who gets pulled over. It will tie you up for several hours if he doesn't have a license.

it even happens when they take an "out of state" RV in for a VIN inspection.  If the CA driver that brought the RV in for inspection does not have a proper license for that size RV...he can not drive it home. 

I would be willing to bet that in the states that require a "non-comercial CDL license" for over 26k motorhomes and trailers over 10k .        The majority of RV owners are "unlicensed".

We always drive 56 or 57 when in CA, OR or WA. Its simply not safe otherwise.

btw: I was horrified at the number of cars that wizzed by that stopped truck.

SeilerBird said:
Crazy post, I have been pulled over in an RV in California.

and what were you pulled over for..  did you get a ticket ?

Was there even a RV-CDL license requirement back then ? 

Up until a couple years ago a car (class C) license would allow you to drive any vehicle that is an RV.

Hate see that stuff.  On the way home just today got passed  by a guy pulling an Imagine Grand design, about 30foot long.  He was pulling it with an ram 1500, no sway control and driving like a nut.  Switched lanes 4 times in a mile and the trailer was swaying the entire time, partly because of his driving and partly the heavy wind.  I backed off and let him go.

I get teased about having too much truck for my trailer and using a WD hitch when my truck doesn't squat at all but its solid.  I may be too cautious but when i see that stuff I'm very happy its not me. 

Most are going 45 and not looking in their rear view mirrors to see the carnage behind them.............lol

I was driving on the tollway into Orlando, going 70 in a 65. Got passed by a little old lady with blue hair driving a buick at about 80.  :eek:

cadee2c said:
I was driving on the tollway into Orlando, going 70 in a 65. Got passed by a little old lady with blue hair driving a buick at about 80.  :eek:

Caryl, I hope you were driving the jeep at 70 MPH and not the MH.  :eek: ::) ;)

cadee2c said:

If you get passed by a little old man with white hair driving a black corvette, just wave...its me. especially on the 417 or 528..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom