1999 holiday rambler diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yobie

I have a chance to purchase a  1999 holiday rambler diesel pusher with about 86k miles on it.  I've had a diesel truck before and it got expensive fast with maintnence.  Typically how high if milage would you consider too high for a class a?  I know diesel last a long time but at near 100k miles should I expect injector replacement or etc? 

Believe it's a Cummins engine.

Tha k you for your help, I've been a 5th wheel owner for awhile but looking for a class A since I have kids now!

I don't hear of motorhome diesels needing injector changes anywhere near as often as pick-up diesels. Not sure why, though. Injector pumps and lift pumps seem to be a more common issue.

While the diesel engine block, crank & pistons typically last 500k+ miles, the rest of the engine system is not much different than a gas engine for wear & tear. Water pump, pulleys, starter motor, alternator, radiator, etc are all subject to the usual mileage wear factors.

You didn't mention the HR model, but the engine is probably either a Cummins "B" 5.9L or the larger Cummins "C" 8.3L.  Not sure if a '99 had the electronic control version (ISB or ISC) or the older mechanical control design (no "IS" in the name). You can search the net on engine types and find info on the sorts of problems that are known, Some of the older Cummins B engines had a poor quality head that was known to crack, but I think that had been resolved by '99.

Back
Top Bottom