Big Dam Bridge in Arkansas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Goad

Hi all,

Last fall, the largest pedestrian/bicycling bridge built specifically for that purpose was opened in Arkansas.  There are other pedestrian/bicycling bridges that are longer, but they all had originally been built for vehicular or railroad traffic before being relegated to a more pedestrian use.

Its popular name is the Big Dam Bridge.  It rises to over 65 feet over the Arkansas River and 30 feet above Murray Lock and Dam.  The bridge slopes up gently up to comply with Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards.

If you're going through Central Arkansas and like to take walks, hikes, or strolls, or if you ride a bike, the Big Dam Bridge is well worth a visit!  We plan to go back again.  It'd be a great spot for pictures of the sun setting over the Arkansas River.  The bridge is also lit by color changing lighting at night and we would like to see that!

Since it's just down the road from us a little away -- about 60 miles or so from here, on the west side of Little Rock -- we've been there a couple of times already.

I've put together a web page with all the information I could find on the bridge as well as a photo gallery of pictures from last week.  I've got more to add from an earlier visit.

We're going to be hitting the road in about 4 weeks and I plan to put together more information pages with photo galleries on many of the places we visit.  This is one of my retirement activities.

Back
Top Bottom