Pet Health Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
Is health insurance on a dog worth the cost?  We recently adopted a wonderful dog. (She is on a fast tract to becoming a Service Dog.) We had to take her to the Vet yesterday because she has bronchitis.  The cost of the ex-rays NOT including the exam and meds was $185.  We are wondering if we should buy health insurance for her.  The Vet says she is in good health other than the bronchitis.  We are looking for comments and input from pet owners who have had experience with health insurance for their pets. 

We've had our pets with Banfield Pet Hospital (PetSmart) for over 10 years and have generally been very satisfied with both the benefits and the care provided. Seems it runs about $37 per month per dog. Includes well checks twice a year, all shots if requested, lab work and annual teeth cleaning.

We also like the fact we can generally find a Banfield somewhere. We've had service provided in Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Riverside, San Diego and other places. And all the data is available on their computer system so everything tracked regardless of where service was provided.

Pets are family and you have to take care of them, for sure!

I'll second Banfield. We've had them since we hit the road in 2014. Can usually find a PetSmart and Banfield is in PetSmart. Our cost is $27 per month. Which annually is less than what we paid our vet when we lived in a stix and Brix.

Excellent input.  We will check into it.  Do you remember what they covered and didn't cover.  Deductibles, etc.

We cover our re-careered Guide Dog "Annie" with Trupanion. Once deductibles are paid, the coverage is there! The customer service at Trupanion has been a "10" in our experience. About $30 a month.

Ive never carried insurance on my dogs. One well check, heartworm and vaccinations each year doesnt add up to the cost. Over the life of my dogs, none would have ever needed the amount in care that I would have spent on the premiums. Even the one who got hit by cars twice.

Consider what you can afford if you don't have insurance. Aside from one poster, everyone else seemed to agree that insurance has benefits. Banfield is nice, but sometimes they are like other "HMO" type insurance, their rules their guidelines. You can get pet insurance through some employers - if you are still employed - which is also helpful. General insurance coverage is there for well-checks, just like humans, but also helps defray the cost of unforeseen issues. No one should expect their furry friend will "never have need" or "never come down with a lifetime illness" such as cancer or some other ailment. Most animals, like people, are prone to aches and pains. With insurance, you pay a percentage of care for an issue (even a minor surgery) rather than "all" costs. Just consider that as well.

It's sort of the same thing with other aspects of their care: do I give them the cheap, crappy food because it's "more affordable" or do I pay a little more today so their colon is in good health later (and avoid perpetual diarrhea). It's up to you, but choose wisely :).

Our dog just came down with diabetes. Does anyone know if there is an insurance that will cover a pre-existing condition??

I have VPI Veterinary Pet Ins which has change to Nationwide recently and I love them.  I have the Major medical plan and I pay a $100 deductible once a year and I get anywhere from 80 to 100% back depending on what it is.  I have a White box who has the common boxer allergies (not all boxer get, this is one of the health traits of boxers) for wheat and poultry.  He has to have allergy medacation every day and I get every dime back (minus tax). I have had other things done, the only thing they don't pay for is food or shampoo if you need it.  I have tried other insurance over the years but have had this company for over 10 years and had it on his parents.  I pay $48.41 a month (or you can pay for the year), they have other cheaper plans but I like this one and worth every dime.  Here is the web if you want to look.  www.petinsurance.com.....the mother of my guy had to have dental work and it cost $1200 and I got back almost all of it back.   

halfwright said:
Our dog just came down with diabetes. Does anyone know if there is an insurance that will cover a pre-existing condition??

I'd be surprised if any did.
I've heard some pet insurers consider things they covered last year to now be pre-existing at renewal time and stop covering it. Happened to a friend but it was several years ago.

Adding my $.02 to an old post. We have insurance for our pets and consider it as 'major medical' and not so much for the yearly maintenance items.  Our last pup had to have surgery on her front paws and eventually amputated. Our cost was over $6k. But she lived 8 more years after that, and was our baby, so worth the cost to us. Our friends labradoodle got bone cancer in his knee and after two surgeries had his leg amputated. They had insurance and it covered $8k in cost.

mrlegoman said:
Adding my $.02 to an old post. We have insurance for our pets and consider it as 'major medical' and not so much for the yearly maintenance items.  Our last pup had to have surgery on her front paws and eventually amputated. Our cost was over $6k. But she lived 8 more years after that, and was our baby, so worth the cost to us. Our friends labradoodle got bone cancer in his knee and after two surgeries had his leg amputated. They had insurance and it covered $8k in cost.
Sorry for your loss(
I had a similar situation with my previous dog. Bad case of arthritis, but insurance got us covered. You'll never know what will happen to your furry companion.

Back
Top Bottom