Removing remnants of Lap sealant from EPDM roofing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigSkyTrailerGuy

What's safe to use on EPDM to loosen the old lap Sealant?  I've heard mineral spirits, but that seems to make things a bit sticky.

Also, how obsessive should I be about removing every trace of the old Lap sealant before resealing?

You don't need to remove any of it unless its really loose or peeling up.  Just clean it real good per the instructions.
I use Dicor roof cleaner with a soft brush and rinse it well. Let dry and reseal.  Lap sealant will adhere to itself.

If you do have bad spots, a plastic scraper is the safest wwy.  Just be careful as you canmeasily lift the roof membrain with little effort.  Clean the surface and reseal as necessary.

If you heat a putty knife or similar flat blade, you can slice through the accumulated sealant fairly easily. Mineral spirits, applied with a dampened cloth, can be used to remove residue but its not a method for gross removal. A hair dryer or heat gun is suitable for heating a blade.

As others have stated, it is not necessary in most cases to remove all old sealant. Get rid of any loose stuff and clean away dirt and mold (bleach and water), then coat over it. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom