1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stumper

Hello folks; still looking to by our first RV. Found this 30 foot HR with Ford V10 and 31,000 miles for $14,000. Going to look at it in a couple days. Is there anything specific about this unit I should look for? I was also told these are aluminum sheeted not fiberglass is this a good thing? And the roof is made better than most RVs which helps leak issues is this all true?  Thanks for any input.

All RV roofs eventually leak if they are not maintained properly. How well it was maintained has a lot more to do with the shape the roof is in rather than what type it is. Roofs should be inspected and patched yearly and resealed about every five years. If the owner does not do this the roof will not be in good shape.

Be sure to check the tire dates as imprinted on each tire next to the DOT symbol (see the Library for interpretation of the numbers). They will require replacement  if that date indicates more than 7 years old or so, despite the tread wear appearing to be very good.

With a motorhome of this vintage there are going to be lots of rubber parts in need of replacement if they have not yet been replaced.  This includes all sorts of belts, hoses, and bushings and of course tires, a lot of these are easy to overlook like the flexible rubber brake hoses, or the sway bar bushings, and bushings in the various steering linkages.  Also remember asking and selling price are not the same thing, and even on used motorhomes there is often 30%+ of available negotiation room on the price.

Aluminum or fiberglass sheet roofing is excellent for wear & tear, but leaks come from the seams and the many items that protrude through the roof (vents, skylights, a/c, etc). An RV vibrates and twists as it moves down the road or settles in at a campsite and that strains the various seams and openings. The type of roof material makes no difference in that regard.

To me, that smooth painted aluminum on the higher end HRs always seemed like it would be so easy to take care of!  Maybe not real hail proof, but it always shined long after the fiberglass ones faded.

However, I did not know they were still using it in 1999.  I'm thinking of the 70s-80s

I missed that you were talking about the sidewall skin (the HR's usually have metal roofs as well). It has proven to be a durable finish, with hail damage probably the most risk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom