EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: How to choose first rental RV for couple in 50s for weekend getaway.  (Read 194 times)

Baltimore1164

Hello,
We want to start learning how to RV.
What are the primary things to know in a rental  RV?
Thanks Baltimore

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: How to choose first rental RV for couple in 50s for weekend getaway.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:17 AM »
Length is one of the most important features. Most beginners are afraid of long RVs and tend to want to stay with only very short ones. You will be driving the RV 5% of the time and living in it 95% of the time so I feel it is important to get a fairly large RV.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:17:08 AM »
Hello,
We want to start learning how to RV.
What are the primary things to know in a rental  RV?
Thanks Baltimore

Rent one from a large company ie RV America or some such thing because they will go over everything as they are used to newbies from other parts of the world, then list what you liked and disliked about the unit you rented and take it from there.
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5200lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
You won't have a lot of choice in features and size when renting, unless perhaps you choose a larger Class A type.  Most rentals are Class C's in a pre-determined standard configuration. Choose something that will be copmfortable for living and don't worry much about driving (Seilerbird's advice).

I'd probably choose El Monte or Cruise America (the biggest renters) for my first experience, but there may be good local rentals in your area as well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
I would say the first thing is to determine what your destination is, though as mentioned choices tend to be limited to what size of utilitarian class C you want from the major outfits like Cruise America.  These rental class C's also often try to maximize the number of sleeping positions at the expense of bathroom and kitchen size, ...  For example campground sites in many older National and State parks are limited to 30 ft or less.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Hosted by Over The Network