EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: My kayak carrier for the rear of my Class C for 2 kayaks  (Read 291 times)

decaturbob

• ---
My kayak carrier for the rear of my Class C for 2 kayaks
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
I am lucky that I had several main components already on hand: cargo carrier and a load extender.  I used a couple milk crates with 4in of rigid insulation with nose profile carved into it, some 5/8" all thread, a chunk of 2x2 steel tubing, a bunch of pool noodles.  I added support directly to the chassis frame and ended up using 4 5/8" galv turnbuckles.  Also rigged a manual lift with a hand winch, a pulley as my kayak is 70lbs and was difficult to lift up into the milk crate.  I doublecheck clearances and made sure we can still carry our 2 bikes as well.  Out of pocket expense perhaps $250 as I already had the 2 main components
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
Re: My kayak carrier for the rear of my Class C for 2 kayaks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
That's darn clever Bob. I've seen a few posts here from people looking for ideas on how to carry their kayaks. Now we can point them here.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

2HPYCampers

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Bob - this is helpful to us as we have been trying to find ways to haul at least one kayak on our new TT. Thanks for sharing this and congrats on a clever job very well done!
RAM 2500 pick up
28 Cougar Fifth Wheel

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
That's darn clever Bob. I've seen a few posts here from people looking for ideas on how to carry their kayaks. Now we can point them here.

Kev

I'll post some closeups when I load up the kayaks in next week or two.  I spent 6 months figuring something out and a month to make everything work.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

Hosted by Over The Network