10K Unrealistic???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I purchased my motorhome, a1992 Challenger by Damon 30 footer for $6,500.  My credit Union was eager to help, as the NADA value on it was $11,400 if I remember right.  We've owned her 3 weeks now, took her out for 3 nights at a local COE site,  Everything works great, and I wouldn't take less than $15k for it now! 

That's a great story. I want to buy so,etching for a fair price in my range and then be super happy I did it. Thanks for sharing.

Here is another beauty right in my wheelhouse:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2001-jamboree-class-23ft-with/6293460969.html

BUT NADA says average retail $7800.00 but the guys asking $17900. Seems like NADA is out of touch or am I crazy? The 21 foot RV Sold for 9K more than double what NADA said. This damn saga!

That one looks really nice. How did you come up with $7800? I came up with more than double that;

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2001/Jamboree/M-23E-Ford-6-8-Liter/3018355/Values

SeilerBird said:
That one looks really nice. How did you come up with $7800? I came up with more than double that;

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2001/Jamboree/M-23E-Ford-6-8-Liter/3018355/Values

Okay I am giving up on how to use NADA.. I thought I was not supposed to input any features. everything is standard. And I NADA lesson, LOL..

What do you guys think of this?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1997-chevrolet-allegro/6293515522.html

I would say it may be worth looking at in person, as low res photos can hide all sorts of issues.  I am not sure about seating / sleeping space with the kids.  There was a very similar Tiffin Allegro for sale a couple of miles from here a couple of months ago with an asking price of about $5,600 (I think 1 year newer, maybe the same layout or very similar, maybe slightly more faded).

p.s. I think the model there is a Tiffin Allegro M25 which were made with either queen bed or split twins in the back, not shown in the photos, google Tiffin M25 for similar examples.

Also note these had entry level build quality (plastic vs fiberglass shower stalls, laminate cabinet work, etc.)

Tony79dr said:
The way I plan to use the rv is for long road trips possibly sleeping in it once in a blue moon, if driving far and I'm trying to make good time, or just makes sense to sleep in it for a night or 2. But most likely sleeping in hotels. I like to entertain so seating is important more than a actual bed

I guess I don't get the reason for even having an RV if you will spend most of your nights in a Hotel... Why?  If you are set on a MH, look for something 26- 30' long for your family. Look at maintainence records and a new enough model that it has an overdrive transmision. A 3 spd auto will totally ruin any hopes of acceptable fuel economy. Also, stay new enough that the MH has a fuel injected engine, not a carburetor.

Think of it as it's all about the journey not the destination. I love the idea of my kids and I cracking jokes, playing board games doing whatever while on our way somewhere. A driving adventure. I'm really liking 25 foot Class As.

SeilerBird said:
I have owned several RVs that cost well under $10k and then lived in them for a few years. It is possible however there are a few problems. It takes me four to six months of shopping before actually finding a unit to buy. Most RVs are massively overpriced due to people not understanding how to use NADA. They add in all the options and come up with an obscene price. You do not add in the options to determine the final price on NADA.

Second, you will need at least the purchase price right after you buy it to make it usable. They always need tires and a roof reseal at that price, and that is without exception. Those two items alone will cost in the thousands of dollars. If you try and circumvent this rule it will cost you a lot more. Count on a $10k RV really costing you $20K.
Spot on about the options. I love watching Big RV on tv seeing weekend users asking for a washer and dryer or a dishwasher. Makes me think that  after 2 trips they will be upset for the money they shelled out for those items. Paper plates and extra clothes. When I go on a weekend trip (fri, sat, sun) I shower twice. Once when I'm done driving and once before I leave. I think some people just want these extra things to show off to friends. A few weeks back I almost dropped $300 for a razyor automatic until I realized we watch tv for about 1 hour each night or we just watch a dvd. Why would I need something like that? The more time I spend in my RV the more time I realize that downsizing is not a bad idea. I look around my basement, garage, house and I think we don't need 70% of this junk. But wife wont let me toss it.

fman said:
I think some people just want these extra things to show off to friends.

While that may be true for some, I find that just the opposite is true. I see rigs of every shape and size in the places that I stay. Each owner outfits their rig with all the stuff that makes it suit their style of living.  And that's the beauty of it. Each owner gets to make that decision for themselves.  For me, I am not on a weekend trip or on vacation. I live in the rig 24/7.  Most everything I own is right here with me. I carry everything I need to make our existence comfortable and satisfying.  I don't much care what the neighbors think!

Makes me think that  after 2 trips they will be upset for the money they shelled out for those items. Paper plates and extra clothes. When I go on a weekend trip (fri, sat, sun) I shower twice. Once when I'm done driving and once before I leave. I think some people just want these extra things to show off to friends.

Then you think wrong. Not everyone uses an RV the way you do. And I know a number of folks with a lot of these goodies, none of whom are in the "show-off" category, many living full time in the rig, and many more who spend weeks to months in the RV.  A washer and dryer, for example, are very practical items in an RV, for those who don't want to spend time in laundromats, and DW loves ours. Of course you normally need hookups for the water usage and/or the generator running for the electric, but not everyone boondocks all the time.

Larry N. said:
Then you think wrong. Not everyone uses an RV the way you do. And I know a number of folks with a lot of these goodies, none of whom are in the "show-off" category, many living full time in the rig, and many more who spend weeks to months in the RV.  A washer and dryer, for example, are very practical items in an RV, for those who don't want to spend time in laundromats, and DW loves ours. Of course you normally need hookups for the water usage and/or the generator running for the electric, but not everyone boondocks all the time.
and i guess you did not read my post when i stated they purchased for weekend trips. I was not talking about fulltimers.

I guess I did miss "weekend users", but I suppose that "When I go on a weekend trip (fri, sat, sun)" must have overshadowed it in my mind. OK, it wasn't clear to me that you were only speaking of "weekend users." And since I know nothing about that TV show...

Isaac-1 said:
Personally I don't believe in getting too hung up on NADA, You can spend months shopping in the NADA value range to just find one money pit after another.  To me a well cared for, well maintained RV with an asking price far above NADA can easily be worth the money.

As to what fits your needs, you need to look at each unit in person, think how you will use it, is there enough seating, with most Class B's and C's the front 2 seats are useless when parked, on a few they swivel and can be functional to a degree in the living space vs class A's where the swiveling front seats are generally in integral part of the social seating plan with full height ceiling above them.

Personally my cut off points are nothing built before 1996 (the introduction year for the OBD-II diagnostic port, and shortly after the mandating of R134a refrigerant for vehicles), preferably something built after 98-01 depending on Ford vs Chevy chassis (I think 98 was the introduction year for the Ford 6.8L V-10, and 01 was the introduction of the Chevy 8.1L V8).

As to length a standard full size parking space like those found in big box store parking lots are 9x22 ft, anything up to about 24 or 25 feet will fit in one without too much overhang.

Isaac, thanks great info.. I'm keeping this in mind.. The diagnostic port, thats for the class a's aswell, right?

Yes, the OBD-II port was mandated for all gasoline engine vehicles in the US starting with chassis built in 96.  One does have to be careful with motorhome as you may find a 96 or possibly even a 97 model built on a chassis that was built in 95.  As the RV manufacturers buy chassis in bulk, and they may sit for months before a production run of a specific coach is made.  It is rare but not unheard of for this to span 2 model years.

p.s. to give you an idea about squeezing into parking spaces here is my 28 ft (29.5 bumper to bumper) class A Safari Trek backed in over the curb in a standard sized parking space, this was at a museum in Kansas, space may have been slightly smaller than one would find at a big box store.

Attachments

• backed-in-trek.jpg
    backed-in-trek.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 22
Isaac, thanks for the info.. Thats a sweet ride. I want something like that but in a 25-ish..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom