LP Gas switch/detector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firedave

I have a 95 Southwind with a CCI Controls model 7719 that enables the solenoid valve for the propane feed to the coach appliances, furnace, and water heater.  It will turn on the gas and allow me to start the stove-top burners and water heater but after a few minutes it will go into alarm and shut down whether or not I am running anything.  The RV has been sitting for about one year while we tried to sell it.  I directed a fan toward it to see if it  would still fail with fresh air going by it and it made no difference. I  made a bee line for the RV parts store before they closed for Labor Day weekend and they sold me a nice shinny new one to replace it.  I am not sure its the same thing at all.  It has only two wires, a 12VDC + and Neg, and no on/off switch. The original has three wire, a white 12V- one red 12V+ and another Red/white stripe with 12V+ and an on/off slide switch. I can not get it to turn the gas on at all. What am I missing?  ???

That type of propane detector is no longer used. Your best bet is to just remove that valve and use the new one. Your original problem is likely that the detector aged out.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
That type of propane detector is no longer used. Your best bet is to just remove that valve and use the new one. Your original problem is likely that the detector aged out.

Ernie

As Ernie has said the detectors with the propane cutoff feature are no longer available. They have not been mandated since the mid 90's or so. The new detector will work just fine but you will have to remove the valve used by the old one from the propane line and bridge through the propane line for the gas to reach all the appliances.

Note that the reason these are no longer used is that modern regulators automatically shut off when you have a major leak.

Ernie

...modern regulators automatically shut off when you have a major leak

Really?  I know that the gas outlet connectors (OPD valves) on portable DOT gas bottles have an "excess flow" auto- shutoff, but was not aware that any LP regulators have that feature built in.

ASME fixed mount LP tanks used in motorhomes also have a type of excess flow inhibitor built in. It's different than the one used on the portable DOT LP bottles, but the net result is the same.

OK, Ernie. I thought maybe that some new feature I hadn't heard of were now being added to regulators. Heaven knows manufacturers add a lot of stuff nowadays to deal with perceived safety problems (or maybe I should say liability problems).

Ernie n Tara said:
Note that the reason these are no longer used is that modern regulators automatically shut off when you have a major leak.

Ernie
Firedave said:
I have a 95 Southwind with a CCI Controls model 7719 that enables the solenoid valve for the propane feed to the coach appliances, furnace, and water heater.  It will turn on the gas and allow me to start the stove-top burners and water heater but after a few minutes it will go into alarm and shut down whether or not I am running anything.  The RV has been sitting for about one year while we tried to sell it.  I directed a fan toward it to see if it  would still fail with fresh air going by it and it made no difference. I  made a bee line for the RV parts store before they closed for Labor Day weekend and they sold me a nice shinny new one to replace it.  I am not sure its the same thing at all.  It has only two wires, a 12VDC + and Neg, and no on/off switch. The original has three wire, a white 12V- one red 12V+ and another Red/white stripe with 12V+ and an on/off slide switch. I can not get it to turn the gas on at all. What am I missing?  ???
  Ernie - I am new to the rvforum here is what I have found.  I have a 1986  Fleetwood Pacearrow with this same leak detector.  I removed the detector and found a manufactured date of 1994 so in my case the previous owner had changed out the unit once just before CCI went out of business.  I know the OPD stuff is the latest and greatest in regard to leak detection however, I am old school I prefer an indicator audible and /or visual.  So to that end I have found that the propane sensor within the unit has worn out as it goes into constant alarm, keep in mind these units are mounted base board high thus they will get clogged with dust and sprays from various carpet cleaners.  That is why the recommendations of replacing every 5 yrs.  Since CCI is no longer either in business or producing these you have 3 choices, remove the unit or replace with a new different model or repair it.  I am opting to try a repair as I am a retired electronics tech and hate to see otherwise good circuitry go to waste.  I opened my unit, which is only hot glued together, found the sensor and to my delight the sensor is still manufactured.  The sensor made by Figaro model TGS 813 can be purchased on Ebay for as cheap as $7.19 free shipping.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-ORIGINAL-New-FIGARO-TGS813-TGS-813-Gas-Sensor-CA-NEW-/142156106701?hash=item21192a0bcd:g:xj0AAOSwx2dYCfjk Once you have the part in hand it is just a simple task of desoldering and removing the old sensor and installing the new sensor.  This is of course dependent upon the circuit board otherwise working properly.  If it does not most likely the IC chip has gone bad and again this is a standard of the shelf item the p/n is stamped on the case.  If ALL fails then it comes down to choices number 1 or number 2.  I hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks for the heads up on the 5 volt regulator.  Since I have it apart I will change that also.  Further in my electronics experience I have found that electrolytic capacitors also go flaky after 5 year or so of in use service.  A good example of electrolytic cap failure is a flat screen TV.  After about 5 yrs of service more or less the video display goes bonkers, folks go crazy throw the set away and buy a new one.  Most of the time for the purchase of $25 worth of caps at the most the set is restored to like new performance.  The only time I have not been able to repair a set is when the screen is cracked they can be replaced but the replacement cost wholesale of the part is the same as buying a newer set with the latest bells and whistles.

Mike, My CCI 7719 failed right after CCI went out of business. Being the cheap skate that I am, I had a look inside and guessed that the 813 was at its lives end. I did repair for several years before the 5 volt regulator bit me. I then call on an electrical engineer friend. He did a complete reverse engineering job on the system and found the faulty voltage regulator. He is so better equipped, that I just turned the business over to him. [email protected]. Now he has to deal with cranky customers. GRIN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom