Seeking Yosemite RV Camping Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gigguy

I have a 37 foot RV and a family of four small children. Any advice of a good campground to enjoy while in the Yosemite area? Would like to have full or semi full hook up. Could dry camp as well. Ready.........GO!!

There are no hookups inside of Yosemite. Most of the campgrounds inside Yosemite are very old. That means driving around on the roads that are too narrow for an RV of that size. It can be done, I have camped at Lower Pines in 39 footer but it was white knuckle time getting into and out of the site. If you are going to camp there then you need to educate yourself on the proper procedure for getting a reservation. You must be online at 7 am Pacific time five months in advance. Not at 7:05, you will be too late.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Yosemite Pines has hookups and is located close to the entrance.

https://yosemitepinesrv.com/index.php/rv-tent-campsites

IMHO Yosemite is the most beautiful place in the country and I have been to all of the National Parks here and 49 of the states.

As I recall,both roads in to the main entrance were scary enough in a Chevy Impala.  But is definitely a beautiful place.

So far I am getting NOT to try and camp WITHIN Yosemite National park......correct?

We stayed at Indian Flat Campground this past April. You can't beat the location for a full hook up site. Only rates 4.7 on www.rvparkreviews.com, but we didn't spend much time there., so it didn't matter to us.

I have dry-camped in Yosemite and being close to shuttles and the attractions are a real plus if you can handle dry camping.  All of the roads into the park are long and mostly curvy, so you may not want to keep driving back and forth, even with a car.  Also, there may be long lines to get into the park, especially during the summer and weekends, so that adds to the hassle. I looked up the Yosemite Pines RV park and it is 45 miles away from the main Yosemite Village area and Google says that is almost a two-hour drive.  If you want to spend only one day at Yosemite, that might work, but you will have to leave early and will make it back after dark.   

I had no problems driving through the campgrounds last time, but I do not tow, so that helps. Once you are inside, you can take shuttles everywhere.

I have reservations in October for four days in North Pines and am looking forward to it, but I am alone in my 32' motorhome.   

When are you planning to visit?  After Labor Day there are more (all dry camping) sites available.  There is a 45 foot limit on the roads coming into the area so you will probably have to unhook your tow anyway.

During the summer there will be up to 3 hour delays getting into the park and no where to park once you get in unless you have one of the 150 reserved parking spaces.

Whatever you decide to do ... it is totally worth the effort!

I would stay inside the park if at all possible to get a spot.  By going to the reservation website as many times a day as you can, up to a week before your arrival, you may be able to snag a canceled reservation.  BUT, you need to do your research to KNOW which campsites inside the park will handle your size rig.  Write down the campsite numbers so you can reserve the site as soon as you see it available on the website.  Seeing it available online and then spending the time to decide if you will fit, the campsite will probably be reserved by the time you get back to reserve it.

About driving the RV to inside the park.  Lots of people do it in 35'-40' RV's.  Not saying it is an easy drive though.

We have stayed at Crane Flat twice and loved it. I have seen rigs your size there. There are 5 loops so take a look and see what you think.
RichH

I just got home from there.We stayed at a park in Oakhurst on hwy 41 south of yosemite called High Sierra RV park. The rv park lays along side a small river. You are close to many restaurants and grocery stores. Its OK but once you get 4 people up and around and then travel an hour and a half into the park it can be 11:00 am before you get to the valley. Bass lake is a little closer alternative and much prettier surroundings. If at all possible try to get closer but reservations are a year out in some places in the park. RVs are not allowed through the east entrance into the park either. Oakhurst is 16 miles from the park entrance but it is another hour plus to get to the valley floor.

We stayed close to Oakhurst at Bass Lake RV Park. Full hook ups and quite nice. You could walk round to the lake where there were restaurants and a few shops. Boat rentals and fishing. It is a resort so at times you can't get in but it does take Good Sam. I think there were forest campgrounds there too.

http://basslake-rvresort.com/

Back
Top Bottom