Electrical issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyingpiper59

Greetings Forum Chums,
Just got a 1985 Pace Arrow...plugged in the Electric cable last night...worked fine for about ten minutes....just dropped off.....unplugged it and headed to bed....I plugged it in again today...same story...no breakers are tripped...Any Ideas?

What did you plug it into? What kind of cord/plug does your coach use? If it's a 30 amp cord and you plugged it into a dryer outlet, you may have some damage to the coach, since dryers run on 220V and the coach is on 110V, though the plugs are very similar. If you plugged it into a standard household outlet, what kind of adapter did you use and what were you trying to run in the coach?

I used an adapter cord that came with the RV...has a Standard 110 volt plug on one end and plugs into the black cord of the RV...I was plugged into 110

Oh yes...you had asked what was on....just the Fridge...and tried out the heater...worked fine....turned it off after testing...so just the fridge and a couple lights

Your fridge and furnace are 12 volt appliances and will run off your house batteries when A/C power is not present. The fridge is also supposed to work off 120 volts A/C when plugged into shore-power. (You may have to manually switch it.) What (specifically) is not working when you're plugged into shore-power?

Kev

Everything works initially...then 10 to 20 mins...the power drops off....like a breaker tripped....but no breaker in the coach or the house has tripped...

are you are talking about the lights 'dropping off' ?

because most all lights in a motorhome are 12 volt d/c,  and powered by a battery system.  There is a battery charger inside that may power up the lights when you plug it in for a while...until it overheats and shuts down.

you may have a dead battery or check the battery switch by the front door that turns the battery power off.

Ah... I guess I have a lot to learn I thought that being plugged in charged the batteries...perhaps it is the batteries not taking a charge...the main  is fine...engine starts right up

12 volts is needed to run the control circuits in the refer, ac and furnace. If the battery is dead they won't work. The battery is almost dead so it charges a little bit but that only lasts a few minutes. Plugging in does charge the batteries but only if the batteries are in good enough shape to hold a charge.

Plug a table lamp into one of the AC receptacles, then plug in shore power and see if light goes out in your 10 to 20 minute time. Let us know if it stays on then we can troubleshoot the DC system.

The revelation here by you and others are making sense now...there are three Bats in this unit...the main and two others in series...they appear to be VERY old....2009 I think I read...so again... much appreciated and tomorrow the troubleshooting shall begin

Ancient is correct. They are old after three years. Make sure you replace the two in series with deep cycle batteries and not marine batteries. And for heavens sake please get out your cell phone and take a bunch of photos of how all the wires hook up before disconnecting them. I have read too many horror stories from people who forgot how the wires were suppose to go so they guessed and smoked the wiring of the RV.

Thank you Chum...I plan to...I restore old tractors....pictures and notes my friend....thanks again...

Being plugged in is **SUPPOSED** to charge the batteries when plugged in.

But if for any reason the converter has failed. That will not happen.

Now converters come in many types..  MINE happens to be a plug in model, it has "Failed" several times..  (Meaning some Idiot has accidently pulled the plug.. (Me of course)).

I plug it in and it's good as new

I've seen tripped breakers.

I"ve read of the thing actually failing to work... (Meaning it needed replacing).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom