Dumping/refilling/reccharging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanbl

Hi everyone!  I'm an absolute novice renting our first RV (in anticipation of buying) during the first week of Oct.  Heading down to Taos.  My preference is to stay as much off the grid as possible but I know that I'll have to empty the gray and black water tanks, fill up with water and recharge.  Is it possible to pay to perform these tasks at an RV park without actually having to stay overnight?  Are there other options?  Thanks in advance!

Alan

Hi Alan, and welcome to the RVForum. Yeah, Tom's right. A lot of private campgrounds will let you dump for a small fee. (Usually about $5 to $10) You can also download an app called (not surprisingly) "RV Dumps" by Allstays, which maps dump locations near you. It's a $3 app.

Kev

Or you can look online at https://www.sanidumps.com/ for free.

Charging your battery is going to be up to you. I have never heard of anyone offering this service.

Yes.  Included.  Citation Mercedes diesel 24ST.  Not exactly the Class B I was looking for but appears very nice. For purchase I'm interested in the more extended type van units.  But as I said originally, this will be my maiden voyage and who knows where it will lead!

few, if any, parks will do any of those for you, but you can pay to use the dump station yourself at many parks (but not all). And the dump station often has potable water available nearby as well.

Charging takes time and a power hook-up, so you will need to rent a site to do that if you don't want to use the onboard generator. However, if you drive the RV often, the engine alternator will also provide some charging and may keep the house battery fairly well charged. Chances are, however, that the RV has a single, modest-size battery and the capacity won't be that great.

There's nothing wrong with pulling into a full hookup RV park one day a week or so.  Make that your fill, dump and cleanup day. 

Let the batteries accumulate a full charge while you're plugged into electricity for 12 - 18 hours.

Dump the waste tanks when you arrive, if needed, then again before you leave.  Fill the freshwater tank.

Take long showers, including giving long hair a good washing.

Get caught up on laundry in the park's laundromat.

Run the vacuum over the carpeting using the park's electricity.  And so on.

What they all said is good information, how often you will need to do this will depend on your level of water conservation, and the size of the tanks on the RV.  The experience will be very different going for a week with 30 gallons of water tankage vs 80 or 100

Some but not all Pilot/Flying "J" stations will have a dump and sometimes water to fill your tank.  Of course there is a fee what I have seen usually around $10.  Jim.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions!  I appreciate having this info prior to me heading out on the road!

Back
Top Bottom