Overnight stops at rest area's, Walmart, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warhorse

When traveling longer distances I plan on overnighting at rest stops and Walmart's.

Should I run the levelers down when I use the slide out for the rear bedroom?

Can I even use the levelers while my toad is hitched to the coach?

I never use levelers while in a Walmart or Rest Area's.  If I'm not comfortably level, I'll keep going, or find a more level spot.  I don't use the slide outs.

If you feel that it needs to be more level, you can do so.

Some people feel that using the levelers indicates a more permanent stay, but whether that is perception or fact is another matter.

I never use my slides. If I have to just to get to something, I'll extend the one I need then put it back in. I usually remain hooked up to my truck and just extend my front jacks a little to give a little stability.

My coach requires that jacks be down prior to slide deployment.  With that being said, the times I have stayed in WM lots, I have always chosen a spot as far away from the store as possible, out of courtesy to the shoppers and the store host.  Often this requires parallel parking at a curbside.  I will choose to deploy the slide over the curb simply to be able to access the bedroom.  This does not impact any other user of the parking lot but me, and the jack is required to do so.

I think it is important to minimize my footprint in the lot out of respect for the store's willingness to host me and to allow others to use the other available space.  I'm going to do the right thing for my coach and to respect the host's property; other folks opinion on whether using my jacks is appropriate doesn't really figure into that equation, nor does it reflect "camping" vs. a simple overnight stay.

One thing to watch for is on asphalt, especially hot temps, jacks can leave marks in the asphalt. We did not use them, which also allowed us to leave immediately if necessary. (Never did) plywood squares can prevent marks.

I always go into the store, grab a shopping cart, add a couple of items to it then ask a store manager if it's OK to spend the night in his parking lot and where would he want us to park even if there are other RV's already parked.

Call ahead and ask if they allow overnight parking. Also google the store with sat. Image and see what the parking lot looks like, how to get in and out, etc.

I've stayed overnight in my share of Walmart lots. I have never understood why people are so concerned about extending a slide or two when in this situation!

I have to extend both of my bedroom slides to use it comfortably. No one has ever said a word about it. In two cases, I have had a nice chat with the store manager in the parking lot during my morning walk as he arrived at work. In both cases I asked about extending slides, since it seems to be a "hot button" subject for so many. His answer? Both said if you aren't blocking a parking spot or a driving lane with the slide, they don't care one way or another.

I have slept in a few rest areas, though not in a Wal-Mart, at least not yet, though I have used them for lunch breaks, etc.  And while they do work as a place to sleep of last resort, I have found that with a bit of planning, better, more peaceful low cost options are out there.  These include community parks with RV hookups, Forest Service campgrounds often without hookups, State parks, etc.  While most of these are not free, sites can often be found in the $15-$20 per night range for sites with water and electric hookups, and often less for dry camping sites.

I also try to minimize the cost of travel by overnighting at safe locations. That doesn't always mean a Walmart, for many of them are in lesser desirable areas of towns. I like Cracker Barrel because they cater to RV'ers and will allow you to put out a slide or two. In my last one on the way back home last week, I talked to the manager to let him know what I was doing, had dinner with friends as my way of saying thank you, and put out two of my slides and jacks. I put down jack pads before dropping the jacks so they wouldn't make impressions in the asphalt and parked next to a curb so the two slides on that side would not interfere with anyone else wanting to park next to me. As long as you are respectful to the property and stay only one night, they don't mind. I can't say the same thing for other overnight spots. I avoid most Walmarts and won't stay in a rest area since there are only a few states where it is legal to do so.

A Traveler said:
I've stayed overnight in my share of Walmart lots. I have never understood why people are so concerned about extending a slide or two when in this situation
Walmart doesn't care if you use your slide as long as it doesn't interfere with others. Neither does Cabelas. I doubt any overnight spot is concerned about slides. The big push for "no slides" comes from the Escapees organization. They have this list of what you have/need to do for overnight spots that has no basis in reality. Then you get all these people who say you MUST do exactly these things or you are a terrible, no good, disgusting person. I don't belong to Escapees, and their attitude toward this type of thing strongly inclines me to never be one! Sorry for the rant.

The only thing to worry about is to follow the property owner's requests and not damage their property.

UTTransplant said:
Walmart doesn't care if you use your slide as long as it doesn't interfere with others. Neither does Cabelas. I doubt any overnight spot is concerned about slides. The big push for "no slides" comes from the Escapees organization. They have this list of what you have/need to do for overnight spots that has no basis in reality. Then you get all these people who say you MUST do exactly these things or you are a terrible, no good, disgusting person. I don't belong to Escapees, and their attitude toward this type of thing strongly inclines me to never be one! Sorry for the rant.
:)) :)) :)) :))

I've followed these discussions for a while. Our Maverick doesn't have any slides so it's not a concern for me. That being said, I have to agree with those that feel this "no slides out" idea has run it's course. Maybe years ago, when slides were a new idea and most people were not familiar with them, their use gave the impression of "putting down roots" in a Walmart, etc. Now days, I would venture to say that a large percentage of people not even closely familiar with RVs, know what slides are and what they do and why people extend them, even in a parking lot. I have been watching RVs that I see in Walmart parking lots as I travel around Canon City, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, etc. Just last night, the Walmart in Pueblo West had about 8 to 10 RVs parked there. All but one had their slides out (those that had them). One person with a relatively long bumper pull trailer had actually disconnected his TV, I suspect because the only really level area where he was, required him to park in 2 parking spaces. NOTE that all  of these units were parked far away on the edges of the lot.

That being said, a while back I saw a smaller Class C in a Walmart, with chairs out, kids bikes parked around the unit and a generator running. This was an older unit with NO slides. So much for those RVers putting slides out, giving us all a bad name?

I'm new to this and have wondered about stopping when you haven't quite made your planned destination.  I've known that Walmart/Sam's Club don't mind RV'ers stopping in their lots, but what do you do if you're not near a place like this?  Or a local campsite?  Do you just pull off the road to rest, preferably at a highway rest stop facility?  Obviously I should plan my routes carefully.  Are there do's and don'ts I should be aware of. 
Thanks, Jan 

only additional comment I have is re. jacks....
Just this past weekend we were pout into a handicapped pot at the state park, paved asphalt site.  It had a really nice collection of round and square dimples in the surface.
Putting a bunch of those in a parking lot might make some stores a bit less than happy to encourage RV's
But generally I'd say that like with slides they really don't care all that much.

Tangled Hair said:
I'm new to this and have wondered about stopping when you haven't quite made your planned destination.  I've known that Walmart/Sam's Club don't mind RV'ers stopping in their lots, but what do you do if you're not near a place like this?  Or a local campsite?  Do you just pull off the road to rest, preferably at a highway rest stop facility?  Obviously I should plan my routes carefully.  Are there do's and don'ts I should be aware of. 
Thanks, Jan

We either find a truck stop or rest area. If we are traveling any distance I'll drive till about 11pm or midnight and stop for about 5 hours. Never had any problems with Walmart, truck stops or rest stops.

We almost always stay at rest areas between destinations. Never had problems. We've found that most walmarts are too far out of the way. Plus finding a big enough spot for a 33.5ft+toad at some walmarts could be challenging.
In the rest areas we try to find an end spot or shoulder to park so our slide(s) don't interfere with others, our bedroom has to be out to get around the foot of the bed.
Plus Walmart lots don't usually good areas for walking the dogs.
We try to stay from truck stops due to too much trash & "lot lizards" .

Different states have different rules about rest area overnights. Some say you can stay for 8 hours, some say no overnights or no camping. Note that a lot of Lowe's Home Depot, and Cabelas stores allow overnights. The Cabelas we stayed at a couple of times was much, much quieter than any Walmart we have stayed at.

We've had some good Walmart nights.  Cracker Barrels are also good.  They generally close early and the lot gets quiet.  We try to find lots that are just a bit away from the busy roads.  Haven't had any really bad experioences yet.  We put the jacks down and the bedroom slide out.  Do some Google earth views of potential lots - you can pick out the ones that will likely be quieter and have some out-of-the-way parking space.  We always call ahead and ask permission and where in the lot we can park.

Back
Top Bottom