Unhitching trailer from truck with stabilizer jacks down ok or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ant21b

Is it ok to begin unhitching the trailer from the truck with stabilizer jacks down or not? Also what about electrical and water being hooked up when unhitching? The wheels are already chocked.

Water and electric hooked up is ok, but when hitching/unhitching, the stabilizers are put down after unhitching and leveling is complete. They should be retracted before starting to hitch up.

What kdbgoat said. How do you raise the ball to unhitch if the back stabilizers are down? You will find them up. When unhitching, chock wheels, unhitched, then lower stabilizers. When hitching up, raise stabilizers, hitch, then remove chock.

And a reminder for those that DON'T know!  Never use your stabilizers to raise or lower the trailer.  There is a definite difference between "Stabilizers" and "Levelling jacks".  Stabilizers are meant to stabilize the trailer when it is already levelled, and the Levelling jacks are made to raise or lower the weight of the trailer without damage.  Only put your stabilizers down once the trailer is level, both front to back and side to side...AND unhooked from the T.V.

Down a little ways or down to the ground???  If you feel the need to lower your stabilizers a few inches before unhooking, perhaps to wind them down in stages, then you should be fine (but use caution not to lower them too far). 
If I'm only staying for a night somewhere and not unhitching, then I will lower my front jack and stabilizers to give the trailer that solid feeling.  Just don't hop in your truck in the morning and take off ;)

And, as X points out, they are not for leveling your TT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom