Norcold 1210 Down! Refrigerator Down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AUSSIEBORN

Isn't this the way it's always meant to happen? Today is Labor Day aka Public Holiday and in 2 days we leave Montana for Virginia and this morning we woke up to discover our Norcold 1210 is not cooling properly. We're on a full hookup site (we're camp hosts) and switched the Norcold over to propane only to find that it's not cooling properly on that setting either. I've checked the 15 amp fuse = okay. Just to be sure I even replaced the fuse with a new one. Checked the vent outside for blockages = all ok. There is power to the Norcold = lights, etc come on. Is there something "simple" I'm missing? We're fulltiming in our Reflection by Grand Design.

Absorption refrigerators are pretty simple devices.  If the boiler is hot, convection and gravity takes care of the rest of the cooling cycle.  If you're in hot weather, the chimney effect that carries off the waste heat behind the refrigerator can break down, trapping the heat and reducing the cooling performance.  Setting up a small fan to blow the waste heat up the chimney can often restore normal cooling.

If the boiler is hot and the refrigerator isn't cooling, the cooling unit itself is suspect.  Do you smell any ammonia or see any yellow or orange powder behind the refrigerator?  These are signs of a failed and leaking cooling unit.

If the boiler isn't hot, then the control circuits are suspect.

If the boiler is cold, do you have the overtemperature cutout that was installed in the recall?  If so, it may have tripped and you might be able to reset it using a magnet:

https://www.arprv.com/troubleshoot-norcold-recall.php

What does "not cooling properly" actually mean?  Not working at all, or not as cold as you like, or ?

Short answer: No, you aren't missing something simple if the lights are on and no fault code displayed, but neither mode works satisfactorily. Lou gave you the basic diagnostic scenario, so I'll wait to see what you report.

Back
Top Bottom