something wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

I took my motorhome for it monthly drive and I found out that my backup camera does not work I also found out that I have no power to the interior lights, no power to the slides except when I am running on the generator then all the above thing will work, about a month ago I replace my house battery after I put it in, I then disconnect the negative post cable until this morning when I took out for a drive. what do I need to look for to resolve this problem.

You have a use/store switch/relay near the battery box. It's purpose is to disconnect the battery from the electrical system when in storage. That provides nearly the same condition as disconnecting the negative cable. Only the LP/CO monitor and few items which should remain powered bypass this switch. Very little current is used by these items, just a few milliamps, a couple of 1/1000 of an amp, and should have a negligible effect on battery life. When you disconnect the negative battery lead, this relay drops out, and must be turned back on after you connect the battery cable. With that switch off, (in store), you will not have a backup camera, and no items using 12 volts will work. It's like you left the battery disconnected.

Since the problems started after you changed the battery, look around the battery compartment for an extra (loose) wire. You may have missed it when you were hooking up the new battery. Usually a good idea to take a picture of the battery wiring with your phone before you disconnect the old one.

Kev

Also check to make sure the battery disconnect switch is actually working, just because you flip the switch does not mean electricity is flowing, it may have dirty contacts.

I would have to agree with Al Juby, since your problems started after you replaced and reconnected the battery, make sure that is not the problem,  EVEN if it's a new battery. If necessary, have it load tested. If you eliminate that as the problem then move on to the other suggestions.

Voltage and capacity are 2 different things. Just because it shows it has 12 volts ( a higher number would be better) doesn't mean it has the amps in it to handle a load. I've seen quite a few times where people bring in a battery that is "good', i.e., it shows 12 volts. As soon as a load (drawing amps) is put on it, it goes to the basement. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it would be good to eliminate that first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom