Alpenlite 5th Wheel 0wners - Boondocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyote234

I have a 1997 33' Alpenlite 5th Wheel. I am curious, is there a switch somewhere in the compartment to flip when boondocking? I can't seem to find one.

Hi Cyote234. I don't have an Alpenlite, but most RVs are pretty similar. What switch are you looking for - what function are you trying turn on or off?

Kev

There should be an external remote switch to turn on or off the inverter when boondocking. I had one in my travel trailer, it was a toggle switch, but I can't seem to find one in my 5th Wheel. The owners manual wiring diagram shows wires leading out of the inverter to a remote switch, but doesn't say where that switch is. So I was curious as to where it is located.

Are you asking about a converter or the inverter?  You would normally not need to use the inverter when hooked to shore power, but would be using the inverter when boondocking to power the TV, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, etc from the batteries. 

Remote modules for inverters are often installed as optional equipment. Owners manuals are usually pretty generic and often contain directions on how to operate something, even if it's not installed. I'm not saying you DON'T have a remote module, I'm just saying that, just because your owners manual shows you how to operate it, doesn't necessarily mean it's installed.

If you have a remote module/on-off switch, you should be able to trace the wires from the inverter itself, and see where it's installed. The harness will usually be thin gauge wire(s).

Kev

Yes Inverter (No to converter). I haven't yet been boondocking, but I am trying to get to know my 5th wheel trailer.

Generic owners manual makes sense, as I could not find such a switch. The Trailer probably has an automatic functions to switch to the inverter if it doesn't sense shore power. 

I didn't really want to track down and find the inverter, as I don't even know where it is. At this point its not an issue, it just a curious question. I just thought if there were other owners of Alpenlites reading this post, they could easily answer this question.

Thanks anyway....

Not all Alpenlites have inverters. Are you sure one is installed in yours?

Bruce, I just naturally thought all 5th Wheel trailers had inverters, so to answer your question, no I'm not sure if I have an inverter....

An inverter is used to convert battery power (12v DC) to the equivalent of shore power (120v AC). It is definitely not standard equipment in older trailers, whether 5W or TT, and often found only in higher end models even today. Or they are an aftermarket upgrade for those who want them.

A converter produces 12vdc from shore power and also charges the battery(s). Trailers and 5W do have converters, but it is not necessary to turn it on/off. If there is no shore power, it doesn't work anyway.

I think we need to establish what function you used to turn on/off in your prior RV. What is it you think needs to be started or stopped when changing from shore power to boondock mode?

Back
Top Bottom