2004 Brave 5ooow Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee77

When I exercised my gen yesterday it ran great when, I turned on both A/C units it runs for 15 to 20 min. and shuts down. The code says the controller can not supply sufficient voltage. It runs fine with only one A/C on. I have always been able to run everything including the micro and A/Cs. The only thing I've done is change the oil, although it has rained a lot lately. With this Hurricane headed towards FL the Gen might come in handy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lee

You might have tarnish on the brass slip rings inside the generator, which is blocking part of the control voltage from reaching the armature.

You may have to live with running a single A/C for a while and see if the extended running will let the brushes wear through the tarnish, otherwise you'll have to find a way to access the slip rings and clean them manually.

Thanks Lou
I guess I'll have to see if running will clean it up, the alternative sounds more technical than my knowledge. May be time pay $$.

The other thing that can cause that is the governor is unable to speed the engine up enough to handle the increased load. That's typically the first signs of a dirty carburetor or fuel line trouble, but could conceivably be a failing governor as well.

Basically the governor increases engine power to maintain constant rpms as the load (amps) demand goes up. If it can't get the engine to respond with enough power, the voltage and frequency fall and the genset controller shuts it down rather than allow the low voltage & frequency to cause damage.

Check the inline filter if it has one. You might also try a carb cleaner product.

Back
Top Bottom