Time to purchase a 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

Im looking to get a 5th wheel about a 2003 being this is in my fund budget.
I found a 28' Keystone Cougar, a 30' Keystone Sprinter and a 30' Alfa Ideal.
The Alfa Ideal has a ladder which would be good for inspecting the roof or installing the winter cover, and brushing off the slide before retracting it.
Neither one of the other two has this.
The problem with the Alfa, the company is out of business.
I heard that Keystone is out of business also.
Would you buy a 5th wheel from either company being they are out of business?
Would it be hard to replace parts, or are they basically the same?
Just when my search was almost over, someone threw things for a loop, so to speak.
What would you do?
My 5th wheel funds only can go so far.

Whether or not the company is still in business is meaningless. RV manufacturers are basically putting together a bunch of components. Most all of those components come from manufacturers that are still in business. You will not need the original manufacturer for anything. I just bought an old Travel Supreme fifth wheel and they went out of business ten years ago. None of the problems I have had would have meant contacting the manufacturer.

So what truck do you have? Anything less than a 3/4 ton won't pull it safely.

I have a 2008 F350 CC SRW with a 6.4 diesel.
I figure with the short weekend jaunts to the campgrounds, I wouldn't need a dually.
I was told by many others that an F250 would be ok for the 5th wheel Im looking at.
I figured it would be better to go with the F350.

Mickey G said:
Im looking to get a 5th wheel about a 2003 being this is in my fund budget.
I found a 28' Keystone Cougar, a 30' Keystone Sprinter and a 30' Alfa Ideal.
The Alfa Ideal has a ladder which would be good for inspecting the roof or installing the winter cover, and brushing off the slide before retracting it.
Neither one of the other two has this.
The problem with the Alfa, the company is out of business.
I heard that Keystone is out of business also.
Would you buy a 5th wheel from either company being they are out of business?
Would it be hard to replace parts, or are they basically the same?
Just when my search was almost over, someone threw things for a loop, so to speak.
What would you do?
My 5th wheel funds only can go so far.

Another thing to consider BEFORE you make any purchase.....what is the capability of the vehicle that you are going to use for towing it?  5vers traditionally put about 20% of the Gross Trailer Weight on the pin....or fifth wheel hitch.  An example:  A 10,000 lb GVWR 5ver would have a pin weight of around 2000 lbs.  Every bit of that, plus a couple hundred lbs of 5ver hitch (2200 lbs) would count AGAINST your truck's available payload capacity.  Depending on the truck and how is equipped, you may or may not be in 1Ton truck territory.  A lot of the 3/4Ton truck's have fairly low payload capacities if they are 4x4, crewcab, and loaded up with lots of options.  Just something to consider before any purchase.

For that Alfa, check very carefully the underside of the slides. Many of that brand had a lot of water damage in that area. I checked at least six in our park and all have that problem, including the bedroom slide in the one I presently have.

Keystone is still "in business" but has become a brand of Thor Industries, as is DRV, K-Z, Jayco, Dutchman, Heartland and several other RV manufacturing companies.

As Seilerbird says, any RV is largely a collection of components from independent suppliers. Pretty much only the walls, roof, and cabinetry came from the original builder, and the builder rarely stocks parts for older models anyway. It's not at all like a car where parts & service are concerned.

Reset your thinking cap to "used house" rather than "used car" and you will make more informed decisions.

My suggested selection criteria:

1.  Which FLOOR PLAN  fits your family best?  Do a VERY thorough pre delivery inspection (PDI) - see Library - to determine the real condition and go from there.  As stated above, manufacturer is nearly immaterial on a used unit.  Condition as determined by PDI is the real issue.

If your first choice has more issues (from the inspection) than you care to deal with, keep looking.  Do not "settle" for a floor plan you do not love.

2.  There is no #2!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom