EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Trailer hitch locks and coupler locks  (Read 406 times)

ant21b

• ---
Trailer hitch locks and coupler locks
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:06:29 PM »
Are trailer hitch locks and trailer coupler locks necessary and worth the money?

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: Trailer hitch locks and coupler locks
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 12:19:40 AM »
Absolutely!  Ask my neighbor who bought a new travel trailer and parked it in front of his house with no lock on the hitch. Disappeared after three days.

My receiver hitch is locked in place as are my tow bars when traveling.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:58 AM »
At the very least, a cheap padlock slows them down.  Why be an easy target?
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

H5-Phil

• ---
  • Penryn, CA. (foothills of the Sierra)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
Attached is a picture of the lock we use routinely.

I use this while towing, after unhitching and during winter storage...

Are trailer hitch locks and trailer coupler locks necessary and worth the money?
Phil & Karen with Crash, our 'guard' Dachshund
KE6HUL / KE6NYJ
2014 F-350 Diesel XLT. with Leer shell
2004 31' Alumascape TT

cybertron

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »
I locked both my hitch and coupler back when I used a $300 weight distributing hitch, but since I bought a new truck and just use a standard 2" ball hitch I don't worry about that anymore (also, the pin for my hitch lock completely rusted out).  I do still always lock the coupler on the trailer though.  I figure you should have something locking it down while you're towing, and you might as well lock it up while it's parked too.  I keep the key on the same ring as the trailer key so it's always handy when I'm camping.
2010 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite ETC 184
2015 Ram 1500 3.0L Diesel

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
Back in the day when I sometimes helped a tow service with vehicle repossessions, we recovered a number of trailers of various types with hitch locks on them, including 5th wheels and goosenecks. The locks didn't even slow us down. The most effective theft deterrent other than a secure storage building is probably chaining/locking an axle and/or wheel to a solid post or tree. Although none of those are perfect either, but they do add time to defeat them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
It won't be cheap but I have seen a civilian version of the Denver boot that locks over a wheel.  I suppose a determined thief could defeat it but would take time increasing the risk of getting caught. I use a locking cap over the pin on  our fiver and keep it insured

cybertron

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »
Back in the day when I sometimes helped a tow service with vehicle repossessions, we recovered a number of trailers of various types with hitch locks on them, including 5th wheels and goosenecks. The locks didn't even slow us down. The most effective theft deterrent other than a secure storage building is probably chaining/locking an axle and/or wheel to a solid post or tree. Although none of those are perfect either, but they do add time to defeat them.
Yeah, locks are to keep honest people honest.  If someone's determined enough there's probably not much you can do.

I look at locking my trailer door the same way.  If someone wants to get in badly enough it's going to take them about 5 seconds to pry open a window and reach in to open the door.  But it'll keep some subset of nefarious types out so I do it anyway.
2010 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite ETC 184
2015 Ram 1500 3.0L Diesel

marcortez

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:06:33 PM »

Exactly.......I had one of those dog bone locks that rusted and the key would not open it.
Out comes the angle grinder with a cutoff disc and it was off before I could blink.

However, how many rat thieves carry around a DeWalt angle grinder?
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CC 4x4 CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja 245RLW

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »
It won't be cheap but I have seen a civilian version of the Denver boot that locks over a wheel.  I suppose a determined thief could defeat it but would take time increasing the risk of getting caught. I use a locking cap over the pin on  our fiver and keep it insured

I can tell what we did in a case like that, usually because a wheel had been chained to the frame. We just jacked the axle(s) up and stuck a wheeled cradle dolly under it, the kind that are used for wrecks that can't be towed with two wheels on the ground. And yes, that does add time. As for 5th wheel pin locks, we just backed up to the trailer and grabbed the landing legs with the wheel lift cradles on the tow truck stinger. Once we were well away with the repo, we'd have a locksmith pop the lock off. We weren't allowed to damage any property belonging to the debtor, so any locks, chains, etc., could not be cut and had to be returned on request.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Badlands Bob

• ---
  • What could possibly go wrong?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
The best thing to do is make the other guys trailer look easier to steal than yours.
2015 Ford F-150 5.0
2016 Winnebago 2201 w/Equal-i-zer hitch

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »
We never locked our trailers. We just made sure we were insured well. If someone wants it that bad, they will have it.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 09:02:06 PM »
The best thing to do is make the other guys trailer look easier to steal than yours.
X2
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Sprucegum

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
The hitch lock won't stop a determined thief but it will make your insurance company feel better about the payout  ;)
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »
My receiver lock and towbar lock aren't for thief protection.

They are there so no moron call pull my pins while I'm stopped somewhere and my toad comes off. 

So for me it's a safety issue.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Hosted by Over The Network