Schwintek Slide Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin1959

2013 Adventurer, extended large slide over the weekend and just before full extension I heard what sounded like the rear top slide gear jump a couple cogs. All weekend I was dreading retracting the slide. When I finally did retract, the top of the slide was indeed in more than the bottom. By about 1 1/2". So the slide gear did in fact jump some on the slide track. Does anyone know how to make this right. I need to release the top gear in order to align it with the bottom so they are vertically even.

If you have 2 slide motors like mine, to adjust the instructions say to extend the slide fully then bring in and out 6 to 8" 3 times. Then fully extend then bring in. My instructions say always extend/retract the slide all the way and hold the switch for 3 to 5 seconds when fully retracted/extended.

If this does not work or yours is different, look up on the schwintek internet side the instructions on how to adjust yours.

Good luck

The above procedure is for getting the slide synchronized side to side. I don't think that will fix his problem. You will need to extend the slide and manually move the gearing/track to get it back where it needs to be. That is done under the wiper seal from the outside. There a lot of videos on the Schwintek slides. I didn't see one dealing with this particular problem, but if you look at a few of the videos, you can see how the system works and be able to make the adjustment.

Yeah, I'm thinking if I lift the motor to disengage it from the track, then manually push the slide until it is vertically straight, then re-engage the motor at that point it may work. Yeah, no, maybe ??

Just got off the phone with Lippert tech. He says entire unit needs to be removed from coach and re-setup  on a bench. Says disengaging the motor wont do it. WTF !!!!

That makes absolutely no sense at all. But... they're the techs, not me. I would like to know how they are going to align your slide on a bench. ???
Were it my slide, I would do what I feel would work for me, and if that did not fix the problem, then I would take it in. The part that makes me wonder, is why did this happen in the first place.

Just got off the phone with Winnebago. Tech (Bill), sounds very knowledgeable, agrees that just disengaging motor will not fix problem. He stated that if I was to go to Winnebago Factory, they would install the new Power Gear Mechanism rather than the original Schwintek. Looks like a road trip is in my future next spring !!

Lots of discussion about the schwintek not working on the large slides.  Sunny had been replacing these with a different gear system.  Still schwintek but different gearing.  If the track looks like a ribbon, they are the ones that have been a problem on the larger slides.

Kevin1959 said:
Just got off the phone with Lippert tech. He says entire unit needs to be removed from coach and re-setup  on a bench. Says disengaging the motor wont do it. (what the heck) !!!!
Had the same problem with my long slide. Took it to Findlay's RV when I was in Las Vegas. They removed the entire slide with two forktrucks and reinstalled it. That was  April 2016 haven't had a problem since (knock on wood!).

I've been reading a bit on the folks having bigger slides having these problems. It looks like a lot of them are getting replaced with the Power Gear systems. I have Schwinteks on my C, but they are relatively small, shallow slides. I can see where they would seem sub-par on bigger/deeper slides.

Back
Top Bottom