EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: RV travel in the Fall: when do most RV parks close for the season?  (Read 575 times)

vito55

• ---
RV travel in the Fall: when do most RV parks close for the season?
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
We had hoped to take a long road trip starting in mid-August, but now it looks like we will have to wait until mid to late September to start, or possibly put it off until Spring. I;m wondering about RV parks closing for the season and wonder when they starts to happen. Our trip would take us through lower Canada and upper New England before returning to the Midwest. Any advice? We have a smallish travel trailer which has a furnace for heat but unheated holding tanks.
Retired US Army; Honda Goldwing rider and former MSF Instructor, NRA Life Member

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: RV travel in the Fall: when do most RV parks close for the season?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
In that region parks often begin to shut down shortly after Labor Day. The weather turns cold and often rainy, and tourism declines rapidly. However, some New England parks cater to the fall "leaf peepers" and even the winter skiing crowd, so call around and ask or check websites. You are going to have to plan your itinerary much more carefully in that season.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »
I've seen some of them shutdown today and others open all year, but with limited services.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
Go to http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ locate the town/area you are going to be traveling through and check the RV Park's website for the dates they are open.  Or call the RV Park and ask them.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

OBX

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
In New England you will find many of the parks close the day after Columbus Day.  Consider bringing a small electric space heater to save on propane.  It can take the edge out of the air up to making it hot depending upon outdoor temps.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »
In New England you will find many of the parks close the day after Columbus Day.  Consider bringing a small electric space heater to save on propane.  It can take the edge out of the air up to making it hot depending upon outdoor temps.

Agree. I know of only 3 in Old Orchard Beach Me that close Labor Day. There are some just south of Conway NH which stay open year round.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 12:51:10 PM »
Here in NY, Columbus Day weekend is the end of the season for most but some are open for 1 or 2 more weekends after that. The Old Forge Camping Resort in the Adirondack region is open all year but no water after mid-October. There is also a KOA downstate that advertises they are open all year but I have never been there.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
I also recommend getting a copy of the Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory because each entry shows when the campground opens and closes for the year.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
I also recommend getting a copy of the Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory because each entry shows when the campground opens and closes for the year.

ArdraF

Allstays Camp & RV app Is another excellent source for which parks are open/closed and dates, as well as amenities, facilities, etc. It'll even dial the park for you, if you wish.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
You should be fine in New England.  I was there in mid September and don't recall any campgrounds closing until well into October.  However they may have limited amenities.  It's easy enough to call around and find out.
You will find many campgrounds peacefully empty.

jhskick

• ---
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »
I am staying in St. Johnsbury Vermont right now. They close Columbus Day weekend. Very nice place. Moose  River campground. You can Google them to check out.
Starcraft 24 RLS

TV 2014 Silverado High Country

John Ginny and Iris

massspike

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
In Ontario and Quebec the RV parks seem to shut down after Canadian Thanksgiving (this year it would be October 9th). Provincial parks can be open all year round but with limited services (e.g. no water or dump station).

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
Connecticut state park campgrounds are closed as of today.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »
One problem even if a campground is open is that water and sewer connections, if they have them, may not be functional.  Some campgrounds may have one water spigot available to fill your tanks, but the ones at your individual sites may be closed.  So when you call to see if they are open, check to see what facilities and campsite hookups are really available. 

Also, I use this site to check average temps in various places:  http://www.usclimatedata.com/

Are you sure you do not want to reschedule this trip to someplace warmer and take this one another time?
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

vito55

• ---
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
For a number of reasons it now looks like we will leave, finally, tomorrow but not go into Canada. My wife is adamant that we make it to Acadia National Park in Maine, and if the weather is too cold we will head right back to Illinois. Or we might head south and tour some Civil War battlefields that I have not been to in about 30 years. Thanks for all the good and helpful information. This trip will probably be the first one in which we make use of the furnace; up until now it has been the a/c that we counted on for comfort.
Retired US Army; Honda Goldwing rider and former MSF Instructor, NRA Life Member

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »
Acadia is beautiful. Don't miss it.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
You'll be okay arriving this early. We'll be in Massachusetts this weekend, Connecticut next weekend and Rhode Island for the first week of October.

This is my favorite time of year for camping in New England.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
depends on specific parks and states for sure. Many private camp grounds remain open longer, many state facilities close by October.  All would have info of closing dates and it is weather dependent so colder weather moving into area and the parks shutdown for obvious reasons.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
We have reservations at a state park in the Catskills the end of the month. There are no hookups. There are some parks open year round in Delaware with full hookups. I think Lums Pond is open year round.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »
We have reservations at a state park in the Catskills the end of the month. There are no hookups. There are some parks open year round in Delaware with full hookups. I think Lums Pond is open year round.

Trap pond has an open loop for the winter, Lums, Killens Pond, and the Seashore State park have winter camping also. Unfortunately, the Delaware State Parks website is in need of updating, and can be confusing as to what is open and when.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
Trap pond has an open loop for the winter, Lums, Killens Pond, and the Seashore State park have winter camping also. Unfortunately, the Delaware State Parks website is in need of updating, and can be confusing as to what is open and when.

Lums Pond is a great place to camp in the winter. We spent las Thanksgiving there. It was quite crowded too.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
Deb and I spent a week there last year, and her sister and her husband were across from us. We really enjoyed it there. We had site 17, and it was really nice. No one in front of us, or to the tail end of the trailer. There was a couple in a motorhome two spots behind us, so they had plenty of room also.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
For a number of reasons it now looks like we will leave, finally, tomorrow but not go into Canada. My wife is adamant that we make it to Acadia National Park in Maine, and if the weather is too cold we will head right back to Illinois. Or we might head south and tour some Civil War battlefields that I have not been to in about 30 years. Thanks for all the good and helpful information. This trip will probably be the first one in which we make use of the furnace; up until now it has been the a/c that we counted on for comfort.
Don't be overly concerned about the unheated black & gray tanks, they will be fine for 10 or so hours down to about 25 degrees.  You dump valves may need to be wrapped, assuming they are exposed.  However even those will be fine if the temp only dips to about 28-29 degrees for 3-4 hours around daylight in the morning. 

At Acadia, you should be fine for all of September as far as freezing goes.  Take a look at this weather history calendar from Weather Underground for Sept 2015:  https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBHB/2015/9/9/MonthlyCalendar.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=   No freezing low temps for Sept 2015 or 2014. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hosted by Over The Network