RV travel in the Fall: when do most RV parks close for the season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vito55

We had hoped to take a long road trip starting in mid-August, but now it looks like we will have to wait until mid to late September to start, or possibly put it off until Spring. I;m wondering about RV parks closing for the season and wonder when they starts to happen. Our trip would take us through lower Canada and upper New England before returning to the Midwest. Any advice? We have a smallish travel trailer which has a furnace for heat but unheated holding tanks.

In that region parks often begin to shut down shortly after Labor Day. The weather turns cold and often rainy, and tourism declines rapidly. However, some New England parks cater to the fall "leaf peepers" and even the winter skiing crowd, so call around and ask or check websites. You are going to have to plan your itinerary much more carefully in that season.

In New England you will find many of the parks close the day after Columbus Day.  Consider bringing a small electric space heater to save on propane.  It can take the edge out of the air up to making it hot depending upon outdoor temps.

OBX said:
In New England you will find many of the parks close the day after Columbus Day.  Consider bringing a small electric space heater to save on propane.  It can take the edge out of the air up to making it hot depending upon outdoor temps.

Agree. I know of only 3 in Old Orchard Beach Me that close Labor Day. There are some just south of Conway NH which stay open year round.

Here in NY, Columbus Day weekend is the end of the season for most but some are open for 1 or 2 more weekends after that. The Old Forge Camping Resort in the Adirondack region is open all year but no water after mid-October. There is also a KOA downstate that advertises they are open all year but I have never been there.

I also recommend getting a copy of the Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory because each entry shows when the campground opens and closes for the year.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I also recommend getting a copy of the Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory because each entry shows when the campground opens and closes for the year.

ArdraF

Allstays Camp & RV app Is another excellent source for which parks are open/closed and dates, as well as amenities, facilities, etc. It'll even dial the park for you, if you wish.

You should be fine in New England.  I was there in mid September and don't recall any campgrounds closing until well into October.  However they may have limited amenities.  It's easy enough to call around and find out.
You will find many campgrounds peacefully empty.

I am staying in St. Johnsbury Vermont right now. They close Columbus Day weekend. Very nice place. Moose  River campground. You can Google them to check out.

In Ontario and Quebec the RV parks seem to shut down after Canadian Thanksgiving (this year it would be October 9th). Provincial parks can be open all year round but with limited services (e.g. no water or dump station).

One problem even if a campground is open is that water and sewer connections, if they have them, may not be functional.  Some campgrounds may have one water spigot available to fill your tanks, but the ones at your individual sites may be closed.  So when you call to see if they are open, check to see what facilities and campsite hookups are really available. 

Also, I use this site to check average temps in various places:  http://www.usclimatedata.com/

Are you sure you do not want to reschedule this trip to someplace warmer and take this one another time?

For a number of reasons it now looks like we will leave, finally, tomorrow but not go into Canada. My wife is adamant that we make it to Acadia National Park in Maine, and if the weather is too cold we will head right back to Illinois. Or we might head south and tour some Civil War battlefields that I have not been to in about 30 years. Thanks for all the good and helpful information. This trip will probably be the first one in which we make use of the furnace; up until now it has been the a/c that we counted on for comfort.

You'll be okay arriving this early. We'll be in Massachusetts this weekend, Connecticut next weekend and Rhode Island for the first week of October.

This is my favorite time of year for camping in New England.

depends on specific parks and states for sure. Many private camp grounds remain open longer, many state facilities close by October.  All would have info of closing dates and it is weather dependent so colder weather moving into area and the parks shutdown for obvious reasons.

We have reservations at a state park in the Catskills the end of the month. There are no hookups. There are some parks open year round in Delaware with full hookups. I think Lums Pond is open year round.

Oldgator73 said:
We have reservations at a state park in the Catskills the end of the month. There are no hookups. There are some parks open year round in Delaware with full hookups. I think Lums Pond is open year round.

Trap pond has an open loop for the winter, Lums, Killens Pond, and the Seashore State park have winter camping also. Unfortunately, the Delaware State Parks website is in need of updating, and can be confusing as to what is open and when.

Back
Top Bottom