Road Closures - Houston Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Free Spirit

Evacuated due to Hurricane Harvey.
I am getting conflicting info from various traffic and road closure sites.
I'm trying to get back to Dickinson, Tx. Does anyone know for FACT, how I can get there from San Antonio Area with clear roads?
Thanks in advance

Tony B

I helped my Son get out of Roman Forest when the power was out following the storm by using the traffic feature of Google Maps.  I found it to be very accurate.  If its green, traffic flow is normal, orange is slowed traffic, and red is stopped traffic.  If there is no color at all, then there is no traffic or not enough to show up.  Google traffic uses the movement of cell phones to determine traffic slow.  A red-white color on a road means its closed.  At the present time, I-45 looks good below Houston. Hwy 6, Beltway 8 and the Grand Parkway are all closed south of I-10.  Traffic on I-10 through Houston has lots of red and at the present time.

Related and the answer may help someone attempting to transit the Houston area to the north. In a couple weeks we will be traveling from Trinity, TX to San Antonio. The two apparent routes are 19S/45S/99/10W or diagonal down thru Navasota, Brenham and LaGrange on 19S/30/90/105/290/237159. Intuitively one would want to stay as far away from Houston as possible given the situation, and according to Google the driving time is only 5 minutes longer via Navasota so it seems like a no brainer. However, this is just a driving day (fortunately not too long) and I want to get there with the least mount of effort. Sometimes these alternate routes can be deceiving with rough, narrow roads that can be much more fatiguing than longer on an interstate.

Specific knowledge of the alternate route and suggestions are appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom