Buying Out of My State - How does the Paperwork Work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

Good chance I will be buying out of my state of Pennsylvania.  I am sure lots of you have done this transaction. 

A couple things I was wondering about:

1)  PA requires a yearly inspection.  Is there a grace period for this - Surely I can legally drive it home and then to the mechanics?
2)  Will the "other" state do the paperwork and collect the money for PA?  In PA we have to go to a place like a triple A where they do the title transfer and collect the state's tax.
3)  What else do I need to know?

Thanks!!

I would say that it varies from state to state.  I bought my Toy Hauler in VA, towed it back to TN and when I got here, I went to the county clerk's office and paid my TN tax, title fee, and registration for plates.

When I recently bought my F350 Dually truck in KY, they took care of collecting the TN sales tax, sending in the paperwork to transfer the plates and do the registration.....and in both cases, provided me with a temporary plate for the drive home.  We don't have any kind of inspections to deal with, so no idea on that part of it.

I don't live in PA but I did buy my used MH from someone in another State.

All I had to do was take the Title (from the PO) and the bill of Sale, and proof of insurance to the Dept of Motor Vehicles in my state and
then of course pay the Taxes and Registration Fees in which they then gave me new plates for my MH.

We don't have vehicle inspections here but I would have to assume that if you have a title or bill of sale on your person
while driving the new to you MH you shouldn't have any problems, IMO.

Cool thing about Texas and New Mexico - purchase includes license plates for whatever state you are in.  We bought our last 5er in Texas and truck in NM and never had to worry about plates, they were sent to us. 

Why not contact your state DMV and ask them what you'll will need.  Explain exactly what you are doing and where you're planning on doing it.  A friendly visit to them and, if possibly, have the same person take care of you when get back may also be helpful. 

Bottom line is that YOU need to know what is needed and YOU must make sure YOU get the proper paperwork.  Not being a hard---, but them's the facts.

Wi1dWi11

I purchased my TT from Detroit, an RV dealer, and live in PA. The dealer collected the PA state tax and forwarded it to them. All I had to do was visit my local auto tags location and present my paperwork. Then apply for new PA tags/registration and pay their fees. The tax was already taken care of. As far as the inspection went, I never had it inspected until after the first year when I had taken it to the local dealer for some warranty work which they covered fully although getting an appointment after not purchasing from them took some time.

It really depends on the state you  are buying from also.  For example I bought my current motorhome in Florida, and it seems Florida has reciprocal tax collection agreements with some states and not others.    Florida also wants you to pay the tax at the Florida DMV and buy temporary Florida transit plates, as a result if you live in certain states and buy in Florida you may end up paying the tax twice (my state was not one of those thankfully)..

Isaac-1 said:
It really depends on the state you  are buying from also.  For example I bought my current motorhome in Florida, and it seems Florida has reciprocal tax collection agreements with some states and not others.    Florida also wants you to pay the tax at the Florida DMV and buy temporary Florida transit plates, as a result if you live in certain states and buy in Florida you may end up paying the tax twice (my state was not one of those thankfully)..

If you live in a state that doesn't have a reciprocal agreement, tell the dealer that you need him to deliver the unit to you out of state and have them drive it across the state line. That's what some friends did when they bought a motor home in California and we from Washington. I also did the same thing when I bought my coach from a dealer in Tennessee.

Back
Top Bottom