Onan 4000 not putting out ac power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

chuckt56

I know this has come up in previous posts but I am going to post it any way my 2008 onan 4000kw stopped putting out ac power shore power works I took my ats
apart (wires) and disconnected them from the shore and the generator plugged into the house and I have 112 vac unplugged from the house and started the generator and checked for power and no power coming from gen side my question is should I assume it is the control board and shell out $300 for a new one? Any one have this happen before?

Chuck, see if the circuit breaker on the generator itself has tripped.

chuckt56 said:
I know this has come up in previous posts but I am going to post it any way my 2008 onan 4000kw stopped putting out ac power shore power works I took my ats apart (wires) and disconnected them from the shore and the generator plugged into the house and I have 112 vac unplugged from the house and started the generator and checked for power and no power coming from gen side my question is should I assume it is the control board and shell out $300 for a new one? Any one have this happen before?

chuckt56
No need to assume anything.

Using this troubleshooting guide you can determine what your generator actually needs: https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

I agree with Mel. Throwing parts and money haphazardly at a problem is not the way to troubleshoot and repair.

I have used this guide and the problem is it listed my board but none of the illustration match my board number my plug has more pins than any of those in the illustration and I check the pins that the guide days to but since my plug is a little different I can not be sure if they are the same pin numbers as the guide says but i got nothing on pins 9 and 10 and the guide says I should have a certain amount of ohms but lik w I said my plug pin pattern is different than any of the illustrations shown

Does flight systems check boards if you send them in to them?

just read the beginning of the guide and it stated my board 327-1413 is not covered because it is a microprocessor based board so now what?
just went to the website and i am going to send my board in to be tested so now we play the waiting game i guess

thanks for the link to fightsystems i think they charge like $35 to test the board so better than $329 and if it is bad they are about the cheapest to buy from

How long has it been since the generator ran and produced power? If it runs but won't generate power, and you've checked and reset the genset's breakers, you might try "field flashing" the genset before pouring money into it. Here's an article on how to do it.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/dead_gen.html

Kev

Well I made the field flasher first tried with a drill no go so I tried field flashing with the wire that goes directly to the genset set and nothing happened no lights or anything so I plugged into a 110 outlet in the trailer and lights came on very dim so I shut the genset off and disconnected every thing started the gen and nothing so it did not work so the circuit board is coming out and I will send it in to be tested if it tests good then i am at a loss i tested the auto xfer switch while i had it out and it was good the converter seems to be working fine I guess next step after the circuit board is taking the genset out where I can get to every thing and see if something came loose

chuckt56 said:
Well I made the field flasher first tried with a drill no go so I tried field flashing with the wire that goes directly to the genset set and nothing happened no lights or anything so I plugged into a 110 outlet in the trailer and lights came on very dim so I shut the genset off and disconnected every thing started the gen and nothing so it did not work so the circuit board is coming out and I will send it in to be tested if it tests good then i am at a loss i tested the auto xfer switch while i had it out and it was good the converter seems to be working fine I guess next step after the circuit board is taking the genset out where I can get to every thing and see if something came loose

Does your key board have a period? It is very hard to read a posting that is eight lines long without any sentence breaks -- just a long string of words with one capital letter.

R

Who gives a rats @$$ about punctuation I am not writing an essay if you want punctuation go teach English to the new generation

chuckt56 said:
Who gives a rats @$$ about punctuation I am not writing an essay if you want punctuation go teach English to the new generation

You obviously posted expecting members to read and comprehend what you have to say. Trying to make sense out of an eight line string of words is not worth the effort to spend any time determining where each sentence/thought ends.

BTW, your response above is missing three periods and a comma.  ;)

R

RLSharp said:
You obviously posted expecting members to read and comprehend what you have to say. Trying to make sense out of an eight line string of words is not worth the effort to spend any time determining where each sentence/thought ends.

BTW, your response above is missing three periods and a comma.  ;)

R

^ :)) :)) :))^
It is very hard to read and understand posts with no punctuation.

chuckt56 said:

chuckt56
Many readers give a "rats @$$" about punctuation.
(Be aware that a post without punctuation is easier to ignore than understand).

And that kind of attitude towards someone's suggestion doesn't exactly make folks anxious to help you, either. It's not as if the folks here are paid, except in satisfaction of being able to help, and that disappears quickly with that attitude.

Well folks, you've succeeded in driving Chuck56 away - notice he's now listed as a guest, which means he's deleted his membership account.

Congratulations.  :(

To the flamer. I was able to read and comprehend his posts without issue.

To the Original Poster: Onan generators.. If the control board is properly operating.. Sense the output voltage and if it's not there.. they shut off. (I mean if you are not making power why waste Gasoline or Diesel or Propane).  We found that out back in 2006 when a forum member's Onan failed to produce. Code was "Cranking speed too low or batteries dead" as I recall.  Thankfully they were parked next to the only working 30 amp outlets in the area (and then the outlets only worked days)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom