Irma's coming, I'm not sticking around to see how it comes out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
With Irma closing in on Florida and having just achieved a Cat 5 storm status, I will be leaving the Gulf. We have been on the Gulf shore for about the last 5 days, and had a 2 week stay planned at this location.  But with the recent developments with Irma's track, we are heading out on Friday.

We will head up to Stone Mountain, Ga and drop in to see the SIL for a few days.  Then if there is anything left, we are supposed to have a week stay after that in St Augustine on the Atlantic side. Who says this full time stuff is boring! :eek:

I think if you leave Friday, you may be in a monumental traffic jam.

We will  leave Homestead Thursday morning with several of our grandchildren with us. This really looks bad. Traffic coming out of the keys has everything clogged up down here now.

Just saw on the news not 2 minutes ago that Irma may change course and track up the east coast of FL. They are saying folks cannot evacuate since they don't know where will be out of the path.

The turnpike is completely clogged up just north of Homestead, it appears the whole Keys m,ay be evacuating. I am hoping I can get out of here tomorrow morning. If it looks too bad, I may ride it out in my home which withstood Andrew,s eye and Northeast eyewall. Have to wait and see.

Oldgator73 said:
Just saw on the news not 2 minutes ago that Irma may change course and track up the east coast of FL. They are saying folks cannot evacuate since they don't know where will be out of the path.

That would be great news, it all depends on the front coming down and the timing.

Gods Country said:
I would be leaving today, and certainly not heading to Ga.

Be safe.

When you live this far south, there are not many choices. We will head to Tennessee if it appears it will come straight up Florida. This is by far the strongest storm I have seen comparing very well with Andrew and could be stronger than Andrew. I rode out Andrew but never again.

gwcowgill said:
When you live this far south, there are not many choices. We will head to Tennessee if it appears it will come straight up Florida. This is by far the strongest storm I have seen comparing very well with Andrew and could be stronger than Andrew. I rode out Andrew but never again.

Tennessee would seem a safer bet, but who knows.

Gods Country said:
Tennessee would seem a safer bet, but who knows.

Way far out to make an accurate prediction. I plotted Andrew when it was only 80 miles away and missed by 30 miles as I had predicted it to go over Miami when in fact it turned south slightly and hit us dead center, I had 18 minutes of the eye at my home. It was the back side or northeast corner of the storm that wrecked havoc on us.

We've been up north and are headed home to SW Florida.  We were going to be home tomorrow.  Just made reservations to stay at a park in northern Florida until Monday. 

We went through Hurricane Charley in 2004 which was a cat 4 and don't wish to do that again.

I'm up in the South Jacksonville Saint Aug area.  The local TV weather guy has been saying yesterday that he's leaning more along the lines of what I'm seeing when I look at the spaghetti models..... more of a run up off shore of the east coast of FL....similar to Hurricane Matthew last year.  That one was a cat three when it passed us and I understand that the really strong stuff was just something like 20-30 miles off shore....so that means it missed my house by only 40-50 miles....it was basically a non-event here.  We were gone but I understand the neighborhood only lost power for a short while. 
A few miles can make a huge difference....but you never really now which way it'll lean till it does

Still my points are these:
I think it's smart to wait just a bit more to see how it develops if you are in the panhandle especially.  If I were in South FL or the Tampa area, I think I'd be heading North sooner
I don't understand the NHC track, since it seems to be clearly diverging from almost all of the computer models (and my local weather guy)

On another thought, before Harvey gas in Delaware was hovering around $2.10-$2.13 gal. Now it is about $2.70. I hope Irma dies not push it even higher. And I hope businesses in Florida paid attention to what happened when folks in Texas jacked up prices on gas and commodities.

We have family on both the east and west coast of Florida (Daytona and Tampa). Not worried though since they were born and raised there and know what to do.

Oldgator73 said:
On another thought, before Harvey gas in Delaware was hovering around $2.10-$2.13 gal. Now it is about $2.70. I hope Irma dies not push it even higher. And I hope businesses in Florida paid attention to what happened when folks in Texas jacked up prices on gas and commodities.
...What we wouldn't give, here in California, to have gas at only $2.70 a gallon!

Kev

Official government (Are you Prepared) Test question (By the way I passed)

Where is the best place to take shelter during a Hurricane?

A: Outdoors
B: indoors
C: underground
D: In a shelter outside the storm area

After I got done laughing because no matter the disaster I have always advised the best place to be is ELSEWHERE.. I answered (D of course).

Back
Top Bottom