Irma's coming, I'm not sticking around to see how it comes out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin Means said:
...What we wouldn't give, here in California, to have gas at only $2.70 a gallon!

Kev

When we started fulltiming in 1998 diesel was about $.90 gallon. We were traveling in a remote area in Texas and needed gas. Only one station in town so stopped and had to pay $1.50 gallon. I told the wife if gas got that high everywhere we would have to give up fulltiming.

Oldgator73 said:
On another thought, before Harvey gas in Delaware was hovering around $2.10-$2.13 gal. Now it is about $2.70. I hope Irma dies not push it even higher. And I hope businesses in Florida paid attention to what happened when folks in Texas jacked up prices on gas and commodities.

Irma should not have any effect on gas prices in general beyond localized demand created issues. Harvey had a significant effect on supply because of the large scale refinery shutdowns, with the expected supply and demand increases. And then there's always those few stations that try to get away price gauging of course.

When I started fulltiming in 2008 at the height of the economic recession,  diesel was selling in CA for nearly $5.00 a gallon. Friends said we were crazy. I didn't think so. 

NY_Dutch said:
Irma should not have any effect on gas prices in general beyond localized demand created issues. Harvey had a significant effect on supply because of the large scale refinery shutdowns, with the expected supply and demand increases. And then there's always those few stations that try to get away price gauging of course.
There is plenty of gas in the system/there is no shortage because of the refinery's shut down in Texas. There is a shortage because people are buying gas that don't need to and the stations can't get re supplied fast enough.
What you see in the rest of the country is just price gouging.
Bill

Oldgator73 said:
Just saw on the news not 2 minutes ago that Irma may change course and track up the east coast of FL. They are saying folks cannot evacuate since they don't know where will be out of the path.

Anywhere north of Atlanta ought to do.

WILDEBILL308 said:
There is plenty of gas in the system/there is no shortage because of the refinery's shut down in Texas. There is a shortage because people are buying gas that don't need to and the stations can't get re supplied fast enough.
What you see in the rest of the country is just price gouging.
Bill

So you're saying that losing 20-25% of the US refining capacity including the largest refinery in the country had no effect on supply? There was no need for the Energy Department to release a half-million barrels of crude oil to a refinery in Louisiana to help mitigate shortages?

That is exactly what I am saying. look hearer. 
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/railroad-commissioner-no-fuel-crisis-in-texas/469905307
A half-million barrels of crude oil is a drop in the bucket compared to refined stocks on hand.
Bill

For those of you waiting to evacuate, the stampede has already started.; GRIDLOCK: This is what the traffic looked like on the Florida Turnpike near Kissimmee late Wednesday afternoon ahead of Hurricane Irma. Safe travels to everyone on the roads!
TRACK: fox13news.com/news/hurricane-irma/279098601-story

Attachments

• turnpike gridlock (Medium).jpg
    turnpike gridlock (Medium).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 83
catblaster said:
For those of you waiting to evacuate, the stampede has already started.; GRIDLOCK: This is what the traffic looked like on the Florida Turnpike near Kissimmee late Wednesday afternoon ahead of Hurricane Irma. Safe travels to everyone on the roads!
TRACK: fox13news.com/news/hurricane-irma/279098601-story

Will, are you and Jane pulling out? What's Tom S doing?

If you haven't already gotten on the road, you might as well wait until Friday, now.
And take US 27, 98, 19 and 441, rather than the Turnpike, I-75, and 95.

I do not want to get into politics of Oil prices but I recall when the national average for a gallon of gas was 4.17 (Aug 2008) and in Ca it was over 5.00/gallon.

I fear we are headed in that direction.. Seems every time (back then) the price dropped a bit there was a refinery fire or breakdown or a storm closed a port and the oil companies citing "Oh we can't get Saudi Oil" (Which by the way we no longer need to meet demand) so up went the price.

At the peak we got like 2% of our oil from the Saudi's. we have reduced oil consumption nearly 25% since then which is why I say we no longer need it..

Can you say PRICE GOUGING.

But it could be worse... Waffle House I used to visit every week used to have signs proudly proclaming you could buy a 16.9 OZ bottle of water for $1.69.. Folks that is 12.80/gallon.

John From Detroit said:
Can you say PRICE GOUGING.

But it could be worse... Waffle House I used to visit every week used to have signs proudly proclaming you could buy a 16.9 OZ bottle of water for $1.69.. Folks that is 12.80/gallon.

Poor example, John... Like most bottled/canned beverages, the cost of the contents is negligible. What you're paying for mostly is the container, the marketing, the bottler/distributor/dealer markups, and the warehousing and transportation costs. On the other hand, motor vehicle fuel is bulk delivered to a reusable bulk container where it's vended from a fixed dispenser into a customer provided container. There are still marketing, markups, and transportation costs of course, but at much lower per unit percentages. And that's all without even considering the effects of supply and demand and local/regional/national economic conditions on prices.

Rene T said:
Will, are you and Jane pulling out? What's Tom S doing?

Rene, we are staying put. RV full of water, beer, charcoal, fuel and food. When Irma was plotted to be turning to a course that takes the center out to sea farther we decided to stay put.
  There will be a sale on Generators and gas cans by the end of next week.

Tom S is hunkering down. Where did that word come from? Hunkering. I have never heard it used anywhere else except for hiding from hurricanes. The weather men are always wrong here in Florida and they are now showing the path of the eye passing right through my yard. I hope they are wrong. I was just out running errands the traffic is a real problem. The line to get on the freeway was miles long. I went to Walmart and there was a few hundred people in line to buy water. All the toilet paper, paper towels and paper plates were sold out. WTF? "Honey a hurricane is coming, better stock up on toilet paper."

Kevin Means said:
...What we wouldn't give, here in California, to have gas at only $2.70 a gallon!

Kev

what we would't give,  for real gasoline here in California.....instead of this methanol crap.  :mad:

SeilerBird said:
Tom S is hunkering down. Where did that word come from? Hunkering. I have never heard it used anywhere else except for hiding from hurr ;)icanes. The weather men are always wrong here in Florida and they are now showing the path of the eye passing right through my yard. I hope they are wrong. I was just out running errands the traffic is a real problem. The line to get on the freeway was miles long. I went to Walmart and there was a few hundred people in line to buy water. All the toilet paper, paper towels and paper plates were sold out. (what the heck)? "Honey a hurricane is coming, better stock up on toilet paper."

Hope you guys stay safe. There's a reason at one time hurricanes were named after woman. They are unpredictable.  :eek: ::) ;D  Boy am I in trouble now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom