Irma's coming, I'm not sticking around to see how it comes out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am curious,  what do all those Florida RV dealers do with all the rigs for sale when a hurricane comes through ?

Do they move them or just leave them out in the weather ?

They leave them, line them up close to build a few walls so the center ones may survive the wind.

Then they make an insurance claim on the damage. Its not possible to move them all, not enough drivers or space to put them if they do move them. Cat 4 will even blow over a 40' motorhome.  Its gonna be a mess. Maybe some deals. I talked to a guy after Wilma who said he faced all of his inventory with the tail facing the storm winds. They still got trashed from blowing debris.

Brand new Motorhome 3 miles on the odometer, only been rolled over once.

I was in these places like Florida City after Andrew.  The link is a mobile home park.

http://cdn.historycollection.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/The-force-of-the-storm-left-entire-towns-decimated.-Hurrican-Andew-left-65-people-dead-and-cost-26.5-billion-45.67-billion-in-damages.jpg

Hfx_Cdn said:
    How did everyone fare?

Ed
Had been up north and was returning home (Punta Gorda, FL). Stopped at Gainesville.  New predictions showed this not good.  Moved back north and west to west of Tallahassee (Marianna, FL). The county had a mandatory evacuation announced. Left the coach there and took the toad to Montgomery, AL where it has light rain and not much wind now.  Will leave here tomorrow morning and go back and see if the coach is okay or laying on its side.  I could view videos of my house until power went out about 3 hours after the eye passed and every thing looked good.  So probably everything okay.  We will wait up north for 3 or 4 days before going home.  The roads will be terrible tomorrow and gasoline is hard to get.

It is looking like Jose could spin around out at sea and head for Florida for next weekend.
Might want to keep an eye on things for a few days.

Winter Haven/Lake Wales, which is where we are, did okay. We lost screening on our lanai and a ceiling fan. Neighbors lost roof shingles and one pool cage collapsed. Some trees down with tree/limb debris about. Never lost power or cable.

Son in Lakeland lost power, and it hasn't been restored. Most traffic lights are out, and lots of big oak trees are down with tons of debris everywhere. I think Lakeland got hit pretty hard. Rene, I know you winter in Lakeland. We were there earlier today, but don't know how Sanlan came out. We drive into Lakeland on 98, but didn't think to look that way. Since it's back off the road, we probably coudn't have seen anything anyway.

It was Frances or Jeanne in '04 that was headed north and did a loop around out at sea and came straight into Florida. Let's hope Jose doesn't do that as mentioned by Lars. Now, that would be awful.

Dance Chick said:
Winter Haven/Lake Wales, which is where we are, did okay. We lost screening on our lanai and a ceiling fan. Neighbors lost roof shingles and one pool cage collapsed. Some trees down with tree/limb debris about. Never lost power or cable.

Son in Lakeland lost power, and it hasn't been restored. Most traffic lights are out, and lots of big oak trees are down with tons of debris everywhere. I think Lakeland got hit pretty hard. Rene, I know you winter in Lakeland. We were there earlier today, but don't know how Sanlan came out. We drive into Lakeland on 98, but didn't think to look that way. Since it's back off the road, we probably coudn't have seen anything anyway.

It was Frances or Jeanne in '04 that was headed north and did a loop around out at sea and came straight into Florida. Let's hope Jose doesn't do that as mentioned by Lars. Now, that would be awful.

That was Francis.
We were living in Port St Lucie, then. Was planning a trip to California for work training, and saw it go on by out at sea, so I got on the plane to go on to CA.
Changed planes at Denver. Saw the Weather Channel showing it starting to loop around. Called the wife and said to keep an eye on it.
Sure enough, by the time I got to San Jose, the thing was turned around and headed right for St Lucie.
She and grandson had to put up the window boards and prepare. I spent the week in Santa Clara, while they got to spend it with Francis. She's never let me live that one down.

Dance Chick said:

Thanks for the update. I haven't heard anything either. I expect a Email from Sanlan soon with a update. They have lots of oak trees and I imagine quite a few of them came down.

Many of the permanents left due to the storm, and those that stayed have landlines only, and power & phone lines are down.  I finally tracked down a friend from a few streets away, and was told that there was no flooding, and minimal debris.  So, I'd say we did remarkably well, he will go over and check it out tomorrow.
    Still have not heard from/about Tom or Will.  Hopefully, all is well.
    My only problem is that I borrow the neighbour's compressor to blow out the water at the cottage.  Well, he was busy last Tuesday, and I picked it up while off balance, and now my back is paining me.  So, it is Aleve, and beer and who cares.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Many of the permanents left due to the storm, and those that stayed have landlines only, and power & phone lines are down.  I finally tracked down a friend from a few streets away, and was told that there was no flooding, and minimal debris.  So, I'd say we did remarkably well, he will go over and check it out tomorrow.
    Still have not heard from/about Tom or Will.  Hopefully, all is well.
    My only problem is that I borrow the neighbour's compressor to blow out the water at the cottage.  Well, he was busy last Tuesday, and I picked it up while off balance, and now my back is paining me.  So, it is Aleve, and beer and who cares.

Ed

So happy to hear that Ed. I'm also wondering about Tom and Will.

We are in Milledgeville, Ga and had no problems here but power was out and a lot of trees down in the surrounding area. At home in FL, we have eight trees down but the house and shop is fine. The farm is fine with some water  damage . Leaving tomorrow going home.and the kids homes are also good.

Dance Chick said:

Got a Email from a Sanlan employee. She was at home because she had a generator. Sanlan has no power, water or sewer. They had multiple seasonal RV's and park models with major roof damage. Roofs blown off or tree down across sunroom. They also had many Rv's with moderate damage.

We went to Stone Mountain, GA and stayed in their RV park. At the height of the storm the park left a note on my door that for safety we could go to the middle of a large parking lot and wait it out.  Our site however had no big trees around so we elected to stay in the site.  The park did lose power at about 2 PM on Monday, and a power pole came down taking out the power. We are still without power tonite, but have sewer and water.  Since we are gen equipped the power is not an issue. Other than continuous steady rain, and a few gusts of wind, there was not much of the storm to worry about up here.

Jane and I made it, we thought for sure our roof was gone, RV made it and only damage was to our banana trees and one palm tree that I didn't like anyway. Flooding in neighborhood but not to us. I haven't heard from Tom, just to busy trying to get back to normal with power and cell towers. first pic is of side yards, this flooding goes for much farther than can be seen in the frame.second one is Boggy Creek that runs thru the back yard, the Picnic table is usually 5 ft above the water level.

Attachments

• irma2 (Small).jpg
    irma2 (Small).jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 54
  • irma1 (Small).jpg
    irma1 (Small).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 60
Damn, what a mess Will. I drove over to have breakfast at Boggy Creek Resort yesterday and the parking lot was full of downed branches and pretty much uninhabitable. Your place is a mess. I have much less problems but I do have two water leaks. I must call my insurance agent this morning.

SeilerBird said:
Damn, what a mess Will. I drove over to have breakfast at Boggy Creek Resort yesterday and the parking lot was full of downed branches and pretty much uninhabitable. Your place is a mess. I have much less problems but I do have two water leaks. I must call my insurance agent this morning.

I don't think they will be having breakfast for a couple of days. A tree limb went thru the roof of one of the back rooms and their power was still out yesterday. I Heard from some of the residents that none of the RVs were damaged. We are going over today to take them our left over water, wanted to take generator but we loaned it to one of our neighbors that still doesnt have power. Most of the permanent residents left for higher ground.

Thanks for checking in, everyone!  It sounds like most of you did okay considering elsewhere.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom