Winegard TV Antennna Amplifier Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwy17v

I just recently purchased a 2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo Class A DP. I want to upgrade the TV antenna (it has an existing Winegard, appears to be Sensar III). The coaxial cable comes directly from somewhere in the ceiling to the TV. Since I can't find a plate with the amp light and switch, should I assume this antenna is not amplified? Or were some coaches wired directly behind cabinets and the amp unable to be accessed?

I'd like to upgrade to the Sensar IV; how do I access 12v DC power for the amplifier?

Thanks for any help you might give this newbie!

Lenae
2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo 36' DP
US Army (Ret)

I'd not assume that it's unamplified. Sometimes those switch plates are in a cabinet, or in other non-obvious places, though it should be accessible, even if hard to find. That cable coming from the ceiling pretty much has to go to the switch plate first, before going to the antenna. It also has to be accessible to push the switch (turn off the amp and switch connections) so you can use the cable TV in an RV park when necessary.

So you may have to hunt through every nook and cranny 'til you find it. If you can trace that cable in the ceiling, that might help.

THe Amplifier on both teh Sensar II, III and IV is located in the amplifer head. 12 volts should be present on the end of the coax cable if you have not blown the fuse.

There will be a connector either AT the roof (Buried in Dicor caulk) or just under the roof (under a clamshell cover) you may need to replace the connector and cable ends at this point.

The wall plate/power supply/Switch for the IV is the same as the one for the II or III  I upgraded mine to the Sensar Pro.

IF you ahve a "Box of many buttons" (Matrix switch) that replaces your wall plate.

The wall plate has a LED, a LIGHT (WHich must be on for OTA) a 12 volt outlet and an antenna connector on the front.

As JFD says, the amp itself is in the antenna, but that's not important. The 12v power on the coax comes from either a wall plate with the cable/ant switch or the video switching unit that selects the input to each tv. Some, but not all, of the video switches provide power to the antenna coax and the cable vs antenna switching function.

John From Detroit said:
THe Amplifier on both teh Sensar II, III and IV is located in the amplifer head. 12 volts should be present on the end of the coax cable if you have not blown the fuse.

There will be a connector either AT the roof (Buried in Dicor caulk) or just under the roof (under a clamshell cover) you may need to replace the connector and cable ends at this point.

The wall plate/power supply/Switch for the IV is the same as the one for the II or III  I upgraded mine to the Sensar Pro.

IF you ahve a "Box of many buttons" (Matrix switch) that replaces your wall plate.

The wall plate has a LED, a LIGHT (WHich must be on for OTA) a 12 volt outlet and an antenna connector on the front.

hwy17v
The amplifier on both the Sensar II, III and IV is located in the antenna head.

The Winegard wall plate used in some RVs have ONLY an ON/OFF switch and a LED light on the front... (NO 12 volt outlet and NO antenna connector).

On your video switching unit that selects the input to each TV, press the antenna button for the main TV and see if a little red LED comes on. If so the 12 volts to the antenna comes from the switching unit.

Richard

mel s said:
hwy17v
The amplifier on both the Sensar II, III and IV is located in the antenna head.

The Winegard wall plate used in some RVs have ONLY an ON/OFF switch and a LED light on the front... (NO 12 volt outlet and NO antenna connector).

I tend to forget that one (I have only seen ONE of them in the 12 years Since I got this A) Have seen many matrix and the standard wall plate but only one of those. You are right.

In any case though the 12 volts for the AMPLIFER comes out the end of the coax and the switch/power supply system works the same be the antenna be a Sensar II or III or IV or a Jack or most competitors.

John From Detroit said:

I'm sure I don't have a Matrix switch, but I did find a wall plate that looks like what you've described. It's several feet from the antenna, and even farther from the TV location. The location makes no sense; it seems like a lot of wasted coaxial cable. I figured out I have the Sensar II (the batwing is aluminum). I've ordered the Sensar IV head to replace it since the mast is still operational; I should be able to receive UHF as well as VHF with the new configuration.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Lenae
2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo

hwy17v said:
I'm sure I don't have a Matrix switch, but I did find a wall plate that looks like what you've described. It's several feet from the antenna, and even farther from the TV location. The location makes no sense; it seems like a lot of wasted coaxial cable. I figured out I have the Sensar II (the batwing is aluminum). I've ordered the Sensar IV head to replace it since the mast is still operational; I should be able to receive UHF as well as VHF with the new configuration.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Lenae
2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo

hwy17v (Lenae)
I found that TV reception with my original, (now 21 year old), Winegard batwing antenna with a Wingman added is EQUAL TO the reception with a Sensar IV antenna. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5sP7kRoljc

Back
Top Bottom