24 foot class c narrow width?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carver4591

Hello, I've owned a few class B's in the past and loved the size but need to go a little bigger. My wife and I were thinking of the View, or Navion, but I have heard that the Mercedes is expensive to maintain and not that reliable. I'd like to get a late model Ford or Chevy that is decent on mpg but under eight feet wide. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are also a few Class C's built on a Ram Promaster van chassis.  I don't know of any C's or even a B+ that is under 8 feet wide, though. The whole reason for building a special coach body to replace the van body is to get a wider coach body. If you want under 8 ft, you need to stick with a Class B like a Roadtrek or Coachhouse, but the Ford E350 and E450 chassis won't get anywhere near the mpg of the Sprinter.

What have you heard about the Sprinter chassis?  Diesels generally do have higher maintenance costs than gas engines, but its probably not a huge difference in that size rig.

Howdy,

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I don't know of any C's or even a B+ that is under 8 feet wide, though. The whole reason for building a special coach body to replace the van body is to get a wider coach body. If you want under 8 ft, you need to stick with a Class B like a Roadtrek or Coachhouse

I realize that's not relevant to the OP as he's certainly inquiring about the US market, but in Europe it's very common to find Class C MHs narrower than 8'; in fact (due to the narrower streets in many cities and ditto campsites, I would say) it was the wider-than-8' that were rare to find. Just for an example, when we were there in 2011 we rented something very similar to this: http://www.dethleffs.co.uk/motorhomes/trend/model/a-5887/ (233cm is 7.64?).
I would have guessed that the main reason for the custom body in  Class C's there was the cabover bed (which they call an "alcove"), having the main bed out-of-the way in that otherwise  "dead" space made a lot of sense in the 20+ days we camped with it.

but the Ford E350 and E450 chassis won't get anywhere near the mpg of the Sprinter.

What have you heard about the Sprinter chassis?  Diesels generally do have higher maintenance costs than gas engines, but its probably not a huge difference in that size rig.

No experience with their Sprinters, but other vehicles from MB suffer (at least here in Brazil) from outrageously expensive prices for their parts, which can cost many times the price of the same parts for equivalent vehicles (I vividly remember  5x prices for brake pads, and 30x, yes thirty times, the price for just the glass of a broken lateral mirror, when I had the misfortune of owning their "budget" A160 passenger car circa 2005. I sold it fast afterwards).

But even if that's the case with their Sprinter, perhaps it can all be compensated by higher MPGs as Gary mentioned (it certainly wasn't the case of their passenger car).

Gary, can you please share numbers about their relative MPGs?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

The View and Navion are seven and a half feet wide I believe. The Mercedes I have read has maintenance problems over 100,000 miles. I just can't remember what I read though lol. I would be interested to hear from owners to alleviate my fears as I like both the previous mentioned MH's.

The Thor Axis/Vegas are built on an E350/450 chassis. They are 94" wide, just under 8'. https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis

As mentioned, the Ram Promaster based stuff will be smaller, that's a Trend in the Winnebago world. The Winnebago Fuse on a Ford Transit chassis is also the same 7'6" width.

Here is one Sprinter fleet owners problems... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson

Yes, that's the article that I read on Sprinters that made me think twice about buying one over a Ford or Chevy.

It appears that just about every diesel with a DEF system has a lot of problems.

The word on the street,  get a pre DEF diesel..... or be ready for problems.

We have two 3.0L diesel Sprinter cab/chassis 3500 units with 11 foot enclosed service bodies fitted and have had nearly zero problems from them. One emission recall which was fixed at the dealer on the 2014 model and no problems with the 2017. They are well made vehicles and get nearly 20mpg.  Ours stay loaded all the time, much like a RV will.  A friend has a 2015 Ram Promaster diesel and he HATES it.  It is front wheel drive and gets stuck everywhere that is not paved.  Front wheel drive is fine for a little car, but a heavy van/cab chassis type vehicle needs to be rear or four wheel drive.

I have a Trend, and yes, 7 1/2 feet wide.  I opted not to get a Sprinter chassis since I'm 2 hours either way for service.  2 hours from South Bend and 2 hours from Chicago.  My local Dodge dealer so far has been able to do the service work.

I don't off road in it, so haven't been stuck nor in wet grassy rv spots.  (Well, there goes that.  Next time there's mud, I'll be gnashing my teeth....) I do find the steering "odd" when I accelerate quickly from a stop and have the wheel turned to make a turn.  Kind of pulls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom