Problem keeping my hot water heater lit, Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texancare

Here's The rundown, I have a suburban direct ign. heater that lights for 3 seconds then turns off. it repeats 3 times and stops. What I've done so far is, Fresh full tank of gas, replaced striker/flame sensor,thermostat , and control board. Pulled out burner and cleaned. If I supply 12 volts to the solenoid during the three seconds that It's burning it stays lit, even though the light inside is on indicating the heater is off. What am I missing????  Any help greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, Danny

The heater control board shuts the gas valve off if it cannot detect a flame within several seconds of the ignition attempt.  Clearly the board is not receiving the "flame present" indication, so work on that angle.

Get a Suburban DSI water heater service manual at http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

Could it be the sensor wire itself? If so, why am I getting spark? Oh and thanks thanks for the link Gary.

The unit will try to light under most circumstances, but will shut off if no flame is detected.  Is your new thermocouple / flame sensor in the pilot flame?  This is step 1 in detecting a flame.  Sensor wire is the next step transferring this signal to the circuit board..

Yes it is in the flame and red, Is it possible to have spark but no return signal through the ignitor wire?

According to your first post, it lights, then goes off.  Therefore, it MUST be getting a spark.  It lit.  The "return signal" comes from the thermocouple, which must be in the flame (it is) so it gets hot and sends a signal that it is lit.  If this signal is not received, it automatically shuts off the gas.

You said you had replaced the thermocouple and circuit board.  The only piece left is the wire from the thermocouple to the circuit board.  I suggest pulling this wire off on both ends and cleaning the contacts to see if that will fix it.  You may also check continuity on the wire to make sure it is not broken.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom