Glad I had the 50A to 30A adapter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joezeppy

I bought one about 7 or 8 years ago when we had a site that was 50A only. Not sure I've used it since. This past weekend I was setting about 7:30 pm Friday and between the fading daylight and my fading eyesight (I just recently got reading glasses  :( ), I had to use a flashlight at the electrical post. After shutting off the breaker, I noticed that the plastic around one pin of the 30A receptacle was melted. I didn't trust it so I used the adapter. It was so far back in the storage bay, I had to practically crawl in to get it.  ;D

Must be the year for this sort of thing. I had to by an extra 10' sewer hose in July (to make 30' total) and I had to use that again this past weekend, too!

With our previous 30 amp rig, we used our 50/30 adapter fairly often when the 30 amp outlet was looking marginal. With so many more 30 amp RV's in use compared to 50 amp rigs, it's not surprising that the 30 amp outlets get more wear and tear than the 50 amp outlets.

Plus the 30 amp outlets tend to be used at closer to full capacity than the 50 amp outlets.  Running an outlet hard degrades the contacts and generates heat, which degrades the contacts further while generating more heat, etc.

I've had to do that 2 times when the 30a failed. I also had to use a 50 to 30 to plug in when the park lost 1 leg of the power coming in.
Always good to have adapters. 8)

Another advantage of the adapter.. Let's say you forget and try to draw 35 amps... NO Need to go outside (it's always Raining when you do this) to reset the breaker.. The one that tripped is INSIDE the RV.

After a similar experience that casued me to finally use mine a while back..... I've taken to using my adapter almost every time I have access to a 50A outlet.
The 30A outlets are almost always loose

Awhile back while staying in our coach at a friend's house, I even found a 50/30 adapter handy for our 50 amp rig. I needed to run about 65 feet to reach a working outlet, so I had our 25' 50 amp cord plugged into our one 25' 50 amp extension, which was then connected to our 25' 30 amp extension with a 30/50 adapter, with the extension in turn connected to a 50 amp range outlet in an outside kitchen with our 50/30 adapter. Surprisingly, there was only about a 2 volt drop end to end, giving us a solid 120 volts at the coach. We did have to watch what loads we used when of course. Not a recommended setup, but it worked for us when we needed it.

Back
Top Bottom