Question on Jayco travel trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jan C Wright

Hi

I'm new to this forum and my wife and I are in the early stages of looking for travel trailers and, later, for a good tow vehicle.

I'd like to know more about your experience with Jayco travel trailers.  Were looking at around a 30 footer.  My question relates to the quality of construction and how well these trailers are for keeping water out. 

How well an RV can keep water out has nothing to do with the manufacturer. It is dependent upon how well it is maintained. The roof should be inspected and patched yearly and resealed every five years. If you are buying new then just maintain your roof properly. If buying used then find one with all the service records.

These days it seems as though one manufacturer is as good as the other. They all can produce an RV that is a piece of junk right out the door, and the next one off the line will be perfection. Don't get hung up on a brand name.

Find a floorplan that works for you is the first rule. The second rule is get a floorplan that works for you. Yep, I repeated that. If you have a floorplan that doesn't work for you, RV'ing will be a miserable experience. Condition is the next thing to consider.

As Seilerbird said, keeping water out is a maintenance issue.

kdbgoat said:
These days it seems as though one manufacturer is as good as the other. They all can produce an RV that is a piece of junk right out the door, and the next one off the line will be perfection. Don't get hung up on a brand name.

Find a floorplan that works for you is the first rule. The second rule is get a floorplan that works for you. Yep, I repeated that. If you have a floorplan that doesn't work for you, RV'ing will be a miserable experience. Condition is the next thing to consider.

As Seilerbird said, keeping water out is a maintenance issue.
Rule # 1 in RED.

Look at as many campers as the knees can handle - new and used.  The amenities you want or do not want will quickly surface.  Make two lists :  Our camper MUST have  (bunk beds, outside shower)  and Our camper MUST NOT HAVE  (wet bath, bed against wall).  Stick to your list. No exceptions.  See Rule #1.

Soon, you will have identified your ideal camper.  I suggest shopping USED.  Many new trailers make trips back to the dealer for warranty repairs.  These things are already fixed on used units.  You can buy a nicer used camper than new for the same money, or pay less for the same camper used compared to new.  When you decide to upgrade, the used camper will take less of a financial hit on trade in.

Go out and enjoy the chase!

Jayco has an owners forum.

Much like this one, but specific to Jayco RV's.
You soon discover that most of the posters are relaying a problem, rather than positive comments.
Weed through the commenters posts and glean what you can.

As a Jayco product owner myself, I can say I am disappointed in the overall construction quality and workmanship.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/

I have kind of the opposite experience.  We have an 2011 Jayfeather  Select 242 and find the overall quality pretty good.  There are some areas which could have been much better, the chip board used on the dinnette  is not much above cardboard, but the cabinets are much nicer then the ones found in many of our friends trailers.

Of course being relatively new to the TT thing I expected (after doing the research) total crap on most trailers (I'm a Cabinet Maker) and I guess anything over the that low bar surprised me!  I do second the used idea, the dealer we bought our used trailer from, who sells many new models told me he would much rather sell a used trailer as there is LESS warranty work!

Jan C Wright,  Jayco, which was a pretty quality unit, has been bought out by Thor. As with many other Thor acquisitions, it appears quality control has also taken a hit! It is much the owners responsibility to maintain, but.... you must have something to work with.  Read many owners forums and jayco .pissedconsumer.com ( where presently is listed as 2.3 of 5 rating). There are many ways with which to research RV manufacturers!

Though, as with any other computer based information.....verify!!!!

Back
Top Bottom