EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Windshield Wipers Replacement?  (Read 294 times)

RedandSilver

• ---
Windshield Wipers Replacement?
« on: September 06, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
The PO told me the wipers were original but still worked good.
After 16 years they are at the end of their life for the most part so I'm looking to replace them.

My rubber blades measure all of 28 inches.  Today I bought a set of Goodyear wipers and they stated 28 and 695mm on the package.
Even the receipt said 28" but the package didn't use inch marks.  Doing the math 695mm is only 27.36" And that was for the over all length
not the actual length of the rubber blade which was even less.  So they are going back.  Guess they don't build them like they did 16 years ago.

Another issue is there is a shoulder bolt holding my wiper on now and the new one was not set up for that and no wipers I have looked
at have shown a bolt for attachment.  J hooks, flat blade and pin hook are what is shown most often of the one's I have looked at.
So even if I could live with a short rubber blade it still would not work without modifying them which I didn't think I should have to do. 

So,
Can anyone tell me where you got yours and were they a match length wise and no modifications were needed?
Do we have to spend a lot more money because they go on a Motorhome?

2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: Windshield Wipers Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:41:35 PM »
I've had my best luck with NAPA.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 04:33:08 PM »
On my workhorse I get replacements at any Auto Store.. But alas. I do know what to look for and yes I do have to modify them a bit.  (As I recall I had to drill out the hole for that Bolt you mentioned).

Worked for a period as a machinist so no problem drilling a hole. :)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
The PO told me the wipers were original but still worked good.
After 16 years they are at the end of their life for the most part so I'm looking to replace them.

My rubber blades measure all of 28 inches.  Today I bought a set of Goodyear wipers and they stated 28 and 695mm on the package.
Even the receipt said 28" but the package didn't use inch marks.  Doing the math 695mm is only 27.36" And that was for the over all length
not the actual length of the rubber blade which was even less.  So they are going back.  Guess they don't build them like they did 16 years ago.

Another issue is there is a shoulder bolt holding my wiper on now and the new one was not set up for that and no wipers I have looked
at have shown a bolt for attachment.  J hooks, flat blade and pin hook are what is shown most often of the one's I have looked at.
So even if I could live with a short rubber blade it still would not work without modifying them which I didn't think I should have to do. 

So,
Can anyone tell me where you got yours and were they a match length wise and no modifications were needed?
Do we have to spend a lot more money because they go on a Motorhome?

Buy some J hook adapters then you can use nearly any blades. I got some on Amazon but nearly any big auto parts store should have them.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

beaverfever

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:25:42 PM »
a drill and a file plus 10 minutes labor and your goodyears will work fine. i buy them at costco for about $7.00 and drill the hole out and file the edge down and i am good to go.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
So you are taking them back because they are an inch short? 
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

grooving grandpa

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
If priced is not a problem. Try Camping World. Most auto supply store can also order them with the bolt fitting

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:22 PM »
You can get refills on eBay right now for $5-$6 shipped to your door. I carry a extra set. Also, when Mh is parked for a period of time, I have slit two pieces of 3/4" pipe insulation and slide over wipers to keep from sun. Pool noodles will also work if you want a little color.

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
Buy some J hook adapters then you can use nearly any blades. I got some on Amazon but nearly any big auto parts store should have them.
Bill

J hook adapters will not work for my setup.  Thanks anyways.

a drill and a file plus 10 minutes labor and your goodyears will work fine. i buy them at costco for about $7.00 and drill the hole out and file the edge down and i am good to go.

I have all the tools to do that - and it would not be hard to do - It's just that I feel it would weaken the part some
and then you couldn't take them back to most places.  Besides I shouldn't have to do work to modify them but some want to save a
few dollars and do the work and I understand that and many many times I have done just that.  But I'm going to pass this time.

So you are taking them back because they are an inch short? 

The blade section was more like 2" short and that I didn't think was acceptable especially because they were labeled 28 - But even the arms were not that long.

You can get refills on eBay right now for $5-$6 shipped to your door. I carry a extra set. Also, when Mh is parked for a period of time, I have slit two pieces of 3/4" pipe insulation and slide over wipers to keep from sun. Pool noodles will also work if you want a little color.

I looked at the refills on ebay and most all of them would not get here before I leave.  Lots of them were in China too.
The pipe insulation is a good idea and I will be picking some of that up.

This is what I ended up getting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300930481661

Except I ordered it from Amazon for the same price with Prime.

Yes it is more than the one's that I got at Costco and I rarely spend more than I have to, but for some reason this time I
just felt it was worth a little more money, as the Trico brand claims to have been OEM on a lot of vehicles.  Two out of 3 reviews on
Amazon said they fit perfect - so I'm hoping mine will too.  Time will tell.

Thank You to everyone that replied.
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

Hosted by Over The Network