Free Hurricane Camping at AMS in Atlanta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiefM

Atlanta Motor Speedway is opening its camping facilities free of charge to people fleeing Hurricane Irma.

AMS, which is located in Hampton Georgia, is equipped to handle thousands of campers. It will open both its RV and tent campgrounds beginning Thursday.

Evacuees will have free access to hot showers and restroom facilities.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/atlanta-motor-speedway-opens-campgrounds-to-hurricane-irma-evacuees/604159342.

It was cut and paste but needed to be put out.

That may be an option for us. Took us 13 hours to go 370 miles today from Cape Coral to Valdosta. May be going farther north in a couple of days.

Traffic was the worst I have ever experienced.

Ken

I listen to 95.5 WSB radio in Atlanta for the traffic and weather. On the way home yesterday they were saying the traffic going north on I-75 was thicker than normal.
Good luck and stay safe!!

If in the Valdosta area I would cut over to Albany GA and then over to Columbus and then up Martha Berry highway AKA Highway 27 like you are going to Rome GA. There are a few towns here and there but there is never any traffic on 27. You can always cut back over to I-75 from Rome.  Just an idea, I try to avoid I- 75 and the Atlanta when ever I can.

I attended a Good Sam rally at AMS a few years ago.  That place has capacity for thousands of RV's, so they shouldn't run out of room!

Bravo to whoever made that happen!!!

After our bug out last year for Matthew, I tried to contact the Governor's office to suggest that state parks out of the storm's path should consider opening an overflow to self contained RV's that can off grid.  The way I figure it most parks have some large parking lot or field away form the regular campground that could accommodate many folks....  I suppose in this case though, there aren't any.....

Brad, the problem with that is Irma is so large. Hurricane 150 miles wide. Tropical storm 400 mile wide. Where is this place you speak of that is out of the storm. The storm is bigger than the entire state.

Yeah, I realize that... that's why I said there aren't any....

Actually as we get closer we may find that there are some that don't get hit too bad.... but in this case with the size and the projected path, it's not something you can count on for planning....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom