RV Overheating, I want to try installing a new thermostat but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Roaddog

Hi

I want to install a thermostat but something is blocking my accessing the bolts on the thermostat housing, I think it the air conditioners?
- I took a picture of it, I will attach the picture, (I could not post the picture, said the file was too large, I could email it to you...)

Could you look at the picture and let me know how to get this out of the way... or send me a link with instructions, so I can install a new thermostat.

Thanks

Attachments

• what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 52
Gas? diesel? What engine?

Year, make and model would help.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Are we talking about the thermostat on the engine cooling system? Or dash HVAC or the RV's rooftop a/c?

I could not post the picture, said the file was too large, I could email it to you...
There are numerous free tools for resizing photos, whether on PC, Mac, tablet or phone.

Here's one that works via a website, so accessible in various ways:
http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for the link, I have re sized and posted the picture, I hope you can take a look and tell me what this thing is because  It's blocking my accessing  the engine thermostat housing bolts and I need to get it out of the way so I can get the thermostat removed to check and replace if its not working.

Thanks

I would guess that's the AC pump also.
Your going to have to unbolt the mountings somehow.
The fan belt will need to be removed and to do that some mounting
bolts have to be loosened to allow it to swing some so the belt can come off.
There appears to be an "L" bracket in front.  If you can it might help to scribe around
that blot head before you remove anything so you can put it back in the same position.

You may have to feel around some but there must be a few more bolts holding that in place.

Can you stick a camera down under the AC unit?  That might help you "see" where the other bolts are.

Good Luck.

It's hard to say if that belt is a "V" belt or a "Serpentine" belt. No matter which one it is, make sure you make a schematic of the belt as to how it runs over the sheaves.

The Roaddog said:
Hi

I want to install a thermostat but something is blocking my accessing the bolts on the thermostat housing, I think it the air conditioners?
- I took a picture of it, I will attach the picture, (I could not post the picture, said the file was too large, I could email it to you...)

Could you look at the picture and let me know how to get this out of the way... or send me a link with instructions, so I can install a new thermostat.

Thanks

That is the Chassis AC compressor.  A York style to be specific.  It looks like the pulley on the right side of your picture is the tensioning pulley for the V belt that drives the compressor.  Release the tension on the belt.  Remove belt.  Remove compressor mounting bolts.  You should be able to find all the bolts that would allow you to move the compressor out of the way to get to the t-stat housing.

Two things..... Don't disconnect or loosen either of the hoses that are attached to the compressor in your attempt to move it. Second...the system uses the old R12 freon which is not readily available to you. If your system still works and you lose the R12, you'll have to have the system upgraded to R134A. Not a major problem. R12 is available but it is extremely expensive and is only available to A/C shops, if they even want to handle it.

Looks like a big job! Not to be a know-it-all, but what led you to believe it's the thermostat? If you've already started replacing the thermostat, you can ignore my post, but a fairly easy check is to take off the radiator cap (with the engine cold) and start up the engine. You should see little or no circulation inside the radiator. As the engine heats up, the thermostat will open and you will see an obvious change inside the radiator and see the fluid start to circulate. If it does start circulating, the the thermostat opened and is doing its job. So, the problem could be with a fan clutch (electrical or centrifugal depending on what you have), loose belt, etc.  Hope you get it fixed and happy trails to you.

Boonieman

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom