smoke
« on: September 08, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
Is Yellowstone still smokey.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
Likely -- I'm in Denver, and it's smokey. The weather patterns seem to be swooping in across the northwest where the fires are, going across Montana, where there are more fires, then coming south past Denver (it's more of an arc, actually). In that path are Yellowstone and the Tetons. Someone a day or two ago said it was still smokey there, enough you couldn't see very far.

Based on past experience, I suspect there'll be smoke across much of the west a large part of the time until the fires are out (or until there is a MAJOR change in the weather pattern), so it may be November or later.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
We're 3 hours south of Yellowstone in WY. We drove up to Jackson Hole (2 hours south of Yellowstone) a few days ago, and it was smoky all the way.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »
How does the song go.  (paraphrased)

We have fire
We have rain
We have sunny days some think will never end (they are wrong)
We have lonley times when you need a friend
But I sure hope I get to see you again.

(More like a total rewrite)>
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

PAPA BARE

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
Thanks i was leaving Monday for Yellowstone but my wife cant stand smoke  i will have to do something else. Wonted to leaf watch. We never been up in that part of the country.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
Unfortunately your wife won't do well anywhere in the west at the moment. We had a brief rain last night that did nothing to knock it down.

PAPA BARE

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
Thanks does anybody know about South Dakota.

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »
Check out this government website for smoke maps.  https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=topics.smoke_wildfires   Personally, I think this map is overly optimistic for Oregon, as right now I am in Ashland, which is east of Medford in the southern area, but slightly west of the center of the border between Oregon and California.  It is better than it was, but still registers in the "Moderate" category and the air is definitely hazy.  This is an improvement from "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" category. On the other hand, I do have asthma but it has not bothered me, probably because I have mostly been staying indoors.

I typed in South Dakota into the search box at the top and it showed good and moderate conditions in South and North Dakota.  Yellowstone has no data.  You also need to consider the conditions along your route.  And the problem is that while conditions in some states are getting better, you cannot predict wind and new fires popping up. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:25:46 PM by JudyJB »
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

PAPA BARE

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 07:55:21 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Hosted by Over The Network