Hurricane Prep for Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohog1

Folks, I live in Central Florida and we have a Hurricane forecast to pass 80 miles east of us and we are expecting wind gust up to 70 MPH. I have a Carolina Carpet open on both ends that I keep my RV inside. I don't trust the building since it is 16ft high and I don't want it to blow into my RV. I want to move my RV outside and aim the nose into the wind. My questions is should I put the Jacks down or should I leave them Up. Please give me your thoughts on this. Another reason I want to move the RV outside is so that I can support the building by installing cables in a X pattern inside of the carport at several locations and I want be able to do that with the RV inside.

Herbie

How do you put the nose into a circular wind? The local wind directions will change dramatically and continuously as the eye passes by your region.

I'm not familiar with a Carolina Carpte brand building, but if it is fabric over frame or any sort of portable building, I'd suggest taking it down. We always take the fabric off our secondary carport before we leave central Florida in the summer. They don't hold up to strong winds very well and make excellent kites!

I doubt if jacks up or down makes any difference, but we can have fun conjecturing.

The thing that makes the most sense would be to get in the RV and drive to Alabama or western GA.

Gary, sorry for spelling the word Carpet, I should have spelled the word Carport. The building is 22 x 58 x 16 high made of metal siding and a metal truss and side framing with metal panels over the framing on the roof and both sides. The ends are open.

You are probably going to get wind gusts of a lot more than 70 mph. I too live in central Florida and it looks like the eye will hit me dead center now. But fortunately weather men are not very accurate in Florida. However I am guess wind gusts up to 150 mph.

This may be worse for you this year than last year Tom. Are you and you pride of cats headed North, or are you heading to a shelter? Either way, I wish you the best of luck, and our prayers are going out to the ones affected by this storm.

Good Luck to you and the kitties, Tom.  May all of you be safe.
P.S.  We're thinking of putting Rusty on the roof of our house so the house won't be blown away.

From what the networks are saying, its still too early to tell for sure where the storm is going. If a cat 4 storm hits, I dont think it will matter which way your coach is heading. If I were you, I would head it north, turn the key, and get rolling while you can. As others have stated, if your sticks and bricks takes severe damage, the coach would be a god sent until repairs are made. Good luck and stay safe.

Sounding to me like the most common advice about hurricane prep is the same as winterizing prep... turn the key and head away from the problem.  ;)

I would be headed north already. That's the only sensible "prep" for this one.

Both the Atlanta Motor Speedway and the Talladega Speedway in Alabama have opened their facilities specifically for a Florida RV evacuees.

If I have to stay would you leave your Jacks down or up. Please give me your thoughts. I know the best option is to turn the key and head north.

Herbie

If you are going to stay, I say, down.
Good luck, I have kids in Florida, some on both coasts. I am worried.

Thanks for your help. I lucked out and was able to put it inside a warehouse. Good luck to Everyone in Florida and may god bless you during this hurricane.

herbie

If it keeps to current track predictions, it will rapidly lose energy as soon as it hits the northern Keys, and Southern Glades. still +100 mph winds are likely when it gets to Lake Okeechobee area, probably later Sunday. 
Will probably be Cat 1 by the time it gets to Gainsville.
You still have Saturday to skidaddle, and the road traffic should be a lot calmer by then.
Still wanna stay away from I-75 and the Turnpike, though.

Please let us know how it turns out for you.  Best of luck to you.

For once I listened to Tara! We are in Calhoun GA. I strongly recommend you join us! Ex ft Myers residents!

Ernie

And I hope to be again.

Folks, I was able to put my RV in a warehouse and did not get any damage at all. As far as my house I was without power for 5 days with no major damage. The only damage I had was trees that blew down. It was very bad for a few days with no power and no gas. Now things are getting cleaned up and in a couple weeks most things will be back to normal. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Herbie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom