GFI tripping in bathroom---Fixed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jubileee

For the last 5 or 6 yrs. the bathroom gfi in the old Bounder has been tripping for no rhyme or reason. Might trip 3-4 times a day or might not trip for a week. Replaced gfi to no avail. Dug around in the wiring inside the mh, nothing. Finally just plugged night light in gfi so you could tell at a glance if tripped or not. ( mounted under cabinet, couldn't see light in gfi)
Culprit was outside receptacle. Foam gasket had deteriorated and allowed moisture running down side of unit (dew,rain, ac drain) to moisten accumulated dust and dirt in receptical causing gfi to trip. Had to fab a aluminum plate to weatherproof receptical. Just returned from 3 week trip, no gfi tripping.
I'm electrically challenged and it never occurred to me that the outside recepticals were tied to the gfi in bathroom.
My experience might be common knowledge, but might help someone.
The thing I don't understand, is to the best of my knowledge, the gfi nearly always reset first time. But, then I never knew for sure how long it had been tripped and had a chance to dry.

My refrigerator outlet is usually the culprit. If I get overzealous washing the roof, water will get in through the vent and soak the outlet. It took me forever to find it the first time, now I'm in the habit of unplugging the cord and blowing out the receptacle whenever I wash the roof.

HappyWanderer said:
My refrigerator outlet is usually the culprit. If I get overzealous washing the roof, water will get in through the vent and soak the outlet. It took me forever to find it the first time, now I'm in the habit of unplugging the cord and blowing out the receptacle whenever I wash the roof.

Why not build some type of roof out of thick plastic over the receptacle to deflect the water.  Just a thought.

Rene T said:
Why not build some type of roof out of thick plastic over the receptacle to deflect the water.  Just a thought.

Honestly, I never thought of it. Hey, thanks for making my Honey-Do list just a little longer.

I had a ice maker line that had a leak and every time it would fill the ice, it would squirt towards the outlet and trip the GFI. Took a while to figure that one out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom