Keeping a firearm in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vito55

I've never personally run into any trouble while using my RV, or for that matter, using my car and staying in motels before I had an RV. But I do know that there are some very bad people around, and for that reason I prefer to keep a firearm in my RV for self defense and the defense of my family if ever needed. What I find most frustrating is that some states' laws would make me a felon if I had a gun in my car (or my RV, I assume), which means if I am going to or through that state I have to travel unarmed for the entire trip. States like NY are particularly bad in this regard, and I haven't yet figured out how to get to any of New England without passing through at least a part of New York. This makes me feel like I am leaving the US for a foreign country every time I have to go to NY, or NJ or some other states in that part of the country. What a shame that our 2nd Amendment rights which are enshrined in our Constitution only seem valid in some states and cities and least of all in the Northeast of the United States.

Did you come up with this post on your own, or does the NRA have some requirement that gun owners make several posts a year on this topic?

Yeah, it might be ok for Shade Tree, but I get so tired of these complaints in General Discussion. There is no discussion topic here; it is just a guy stating his opinion.

This was my own question. The NRA is a civil rights organization (one of the very first) and does not need to ask its members to ask questions on the RV Forum. I posted the thread out of my frustration with what I see as unconstitutional restrictions on my right to travel. I put the post here, and not in the "Shade Tree" because it is RV related. Our country is unfortunately divided on many political lines, and the 2nd Amendment is one of the biggest divides. Much of the country respects the Constitution and the rule of law, while a smaller number of states believes in an intrusive autocratic government. I try to avoid going to those states that trample on my rights, but unfortunately to travel to New England, going through the Peoples Republic of New York is unavoidable.

Ive never had need of a firearm. I have a dog. Dogs do much more to protect your home with the added bonus of cuddling with you. Ive never had a firearm keep my feet warm on a cold winter morning.

To be more specific to the OP's question, I think there was a question there somewhere ;)

I stay out of states as much as possible that treat all gun owners like felons.  I store or carry a gun according to the law, and I expect the states to obey the laws they impose on me.  I simply vote with my wallet and although I may pass through some states that I have a strong political disagreement with I spend my money elsewhere.

I mean...do you plan on getting stopped in New York and your RV searched? I see where you are coming from, but if you're just passing through I would keep the gun in the RV and go on with my life. I realize that is 'breaking the law' but I also feel like that law is there to add a double whammy to people who should not be in a possession of a weapon in the first place (like you are out robbing people, get stopped, and also have a gun in your vehicle with all the stolen merchandise; extra infraction.) not necessarily to enforce communism and suppression of your American freedoms.

Unless you are sitting in the front seat of the truck/motorhome with a bullet belt all Rambo style and a rack of A.R.s hanging off the back of the vehicle you should probably make it north of New York just fine. 

I believe it's legal to have weapon in your vehicle as you pass through all fifty states. Not stopping just passing through to another state. You also need to have a concealed carry permit for your state. The weapon has to be locked in the trunk or somewhere not readily available. It also can't be loaded and the ammo has to be in a separate area. It's not just NY, you would have problems in MA and maybe CN and RI.

Dragginourbedaround said:
I believe it's legal to have weapon in your vehicle as you pass through all fifty states. Not stopping just passing through to another state. You also need to have a concealed carry permit for your state. The weapon has to be locked in the trunk or somewhere not readily available. It also can't be loaded and the ammo has to be in a separate area. It's not just NY, you would have problems in MA and maybe CN and RI.

The portion in bold isn't precisely true.  According to federal law the firearm has to be legal in it's place of origin and  destination.  Having a license or permit from your state of residence has more to do with reciprocity and some exemptions granted for travel, which varies from state to state.

Can you provide sources on this "Federal Law" concerning method of transporting a firearm? Firearm laws are a patchwork of state laws which can snare an innocent person quite easily. My personal preferences are to avoid areas known to be unfriendly to gun owners. It may limit my travel plans somewhat but it a personal choice.

18 U.S. Code ? 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver?s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

"...The weapon has to be locked in the trunk or somewhere not readily available. It also can't be loaded and the ammo has to be in a separate area..." 

I have had the concealed carry permit training in my home state, and what you are writing is not accurate.  Once a weapon meets the criteria above the CCP is moot.  I can transport a weapon in this condition whether or not I have my permit with me.  What you are stating is overkill and outside the letter of the law.

IMHO, what's the point of having the CCP if your weapon is not useful?

UTTransplant said:
Yeah, it might be ok for Shade Tree, but I get so tired of these complaints in General Discussion. There is no discussion topic here; it is just a guy stating his opinion.

Would his post/Thread be OK with you if he were stating his "opinion" about tires?  And the bottom line is, if you don't want to read a post.......move along and don't read it.  :mad:

I have never had the desire nor need to posses a firearm. If we are camping or stopped for the night at a rest stop, Truck stop etc and someone knocks on the door late at night, I answer it naked. Usually scares them away with little or no violence.

rvannie23 said:
Unless you are sitting in the front seat of the truck/motorhome with a bullet belt all Rambo style and a rack of A.R.s hanging off the back of the vehicle you should probably make it north of New York just fine. 

If you're going "north of New York" with guns on board, you could be in a lot bigger trouble than you would be in NY. And you won't have the Constitution to fall back on. ;)

I've had a concealed carry permit (and have carried) for over thirty years and have never needed my weapon.  I'm also a hang glider pilot and fly with a parachute that I have never needed to deploy in forty years of flying (but would NEVER fly without it).  They are both there to be used only in the rare case of a life threatening emergency.
When we travel I carry a printed map showing the states that recognize my concealed carry permit.  In states that don't recognize it, I comply with their laws for traveling with a firearm. 
This is just my choice and I don't expect others to understand my reasons (especially for flying those dangerous hang gliders ;).  I don't belong to the NRA and I have no problem with states that have stringent/restrictive firearm laws (their prerogative and my option not to travel there).

NY_Dutch said:
If you're going "north of New York" with guns on board, you could be in a lot bigger trouble than you would be in NY. And you won't have the Constitution to fall back on. ;)
;D ;D No kidding. We have traveled many miles in your fair country and have never been in a position where we felt threatened. We have met a few individuals who indicated they felt they needed a gun to add to their swagger, indicated by the NRA and Smith and Wesson decals, but we tend to avoid them if possible. If you are that afraid of the big wide world you are probably better off staying in your walled castle and leaving the rest of us a safe distance from your paranoia.

Roy M said:
;D ;D No kidding. We have traveled many miles in your fair country and have never been in a position where we felt threatened. We have met a few individuals who indicated they felt they needed a gun to add to their swagger, indicated by the NRA and Smith and Wesson decals, but we tend to avoid them if possible. If you are that afraid of the big wide world you are probably better off staying in your walled castle and leaving the rest of us a safe distance from your paranoia.

:)) :)) :)) :))

Oldgator73 said:
I have never had the desire nor need to posses a firearm. If we are camping or stopped for the night at a rest stop, Truck stop etc and someone knocks on the door late at night, I answer it naked. Usually scares them away with little or no violence.

Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom