EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Hitch: Fifthwheel vs. Gooseneck to Fix Height Issue?  (Read 779 times)

CybexRV

• ---
Re: Hitch: Fifthwheel vs. Gooseneck to Fix Height Issue?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »
Hi all,

I had a heck of a time finding my way back to this post string.  Anyway, I have done the axel flip and bought new brackets for the fifth wheel hitch lower it about 2 inches.  The picture is before the installation of the brackets and now I'm pretty close to level.  I currently have ST225/75R15 tires that need to be replaced.  They have dry rot damage and was wondering if there is a larger tire that would fit on the 15" rims?  I'm only about 1-2 inches from being completely level.  Also, what brand is best at a reasonable cost?

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
To stay with 15" rims,  larger tires come from wider tires i.e. ST225 --> 235 or 245 tires  and / or from higher profile  i.e. /75R15 -->/80R15.  Make sure there is room for either, including suspension travel.  Make sure ANY tire has the load rating to handle your camper. 

The 225/75 15 tire is 28.87 inch diameter.  A 245/75 15 is  29.46 inch diameter.  A 245/80 15 is 30.43 inch diameter. 

I can calculate 16" diameters if you choose to go that way.  Remember only of that diameter is below the axles and will raise the camper only of the increase.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

CybexRV

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 11:20:17 PM »
Thank you Grashley, that is great info going forward.  You all are an awesome group or folks! 

We are headed out this coming week for the maiden voyage, so I had new tires put on today.  I went with the 225/75R15's, but the tire shop recommended 10 ply (instead of 8) since I am loading 2-3 touring motorcycles in it, and with a L speed rating (75 mph) since the highways out have a 75 mph speed limit.  Not that I will run at that speed, but I figure at max pressure they will not run as hot with them being over rated. 

I was trying to get completely level, but I think I am close enough to not have issues with running the propane frig while traveling.  Guess I will find out.  If not I will look at moving to the 245/80R15 you mentioned and/or go to 16" rims.  Where I am now the stabilizers are good and the steps aren't too high, so hopefully all will be good.

Another question, if you look at the picture I posted earlier the spot light mounts and the door window framing is yellowing.  Question is, is there anything I can do to get them white again other than replacing or painting the plastic?  Was hoping there was a treatment or chemical that would do it?  It sticks out to me since everything else looks fine.

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 06:08:08 AM »
CybexRV,
Don't know the answer to your question but thought I should suggest that you start a new post so that you get a much larger audience. I think you'll have a better chance of getting your question answered.
Bob
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

CybexRV

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  A newbie to forums as well.

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
You're welcome 😊
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

Wi1dBill

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »
Don't know of any product that will change the yellowing plastic, likely due to UV rays over time.  I would paint them with paint special designed for plastic.

Also as far as running the fridge while moving.  Run the fridge at home to cool everything down before you leave, down to about 34 degrees.   I'll freeze a dozen or more 16.9 oz.water bottles, before hand, and place them through out the fridge and freezer.  When they thaw you can drink the water.  That will keep the fridge cold for 6 to 8 hour of travel.  Don't open the fridge if not necessary.  Use a small cooler for drinks and food and snacks while traveling. Think about it. a refrigerator is insulated as good if not better then a cooler.   Running the fridge while it's not level creates unnecessary heat in the cooling unit.   

Wi1dBi11

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »
Those 10 ply will serve you well.  As you said, keep the speed down.  You have a safety factor based on lower than rated speed AND less than max load.  Wise move!

As for the yellow, UV will discolor the plastic over time.  The only fix is to paint or replace.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Hosted by Over The Network