Generator quits at 1/4 tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NY_Dutch said:
Yes, that's correct, although "approximately a quarter tank" is more accurate, some cut out at a bit more, some a bit less...
Sigh of relief.  I started it up to check it before the weekend and it ran for about three minutes and started running real rough and died. It would not restart but then I really realize that the gas gauge was at 1/4 so I probably just ran out the carburetor and then quit.

JoeandJane said:
Sigh of relief.  I started it up to check it before the weekend and it ran for about three minutes and started running real rough and died. It would not restart but then I really realize that the gas gauge was at 1/4 so I probably just ran out the carburetor and then quit.

Yep, that's exactly what happens. It may take a few restart tries to get fuel back up in the bowl and flowing to the engine, but it'll get there. Don't run the starter for more than about 10 seconds at a time.

Get in the habit of looking for gas around half tank. This way if an emergency arises and you need the generator, you will have enough fuel to last at least a while. I never let mine get even near 1\4 for this reason.

John Canfield said:
Our Onan QuietDiesel will self prime if you hold the start switch in the off position for about two minutes.

I don't think any of the gas generators have that feature, John, but I could be wrong. I have known a couple of people that added a push button fuel pump override to older units though.

On my Onan 4KY on the interior switches you push and hold the top (stop) part of the switch to prime the unit.

Pet Peeve! :mad: I have 90 gallon fuel tank and almost always run with the generator running. That wastes 1/4 of the fuel tank or 22.5 gallons/200 miles of range. Dumb plan in a modern RV. I have to start looking for fuel about 200 miles sooner for no good reason (the generator uses about 10 gallons per day and I don't boondock often). What's worse, I suspect they do this in software but don't provide to modify it.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Pet Peeve! :mad: I have 90 gallon fuel tank and almost always run with the generator running. That wastes 1/4 of the fuel tank or 22.5 gallons/200 miles of range. Dumb plan in a modern RV. I have to start looking for fuel about 200 miles sooner for no good reason (the generator uses about 10 gallons per day and I don't boondock often). What's worse, I suspect they do this in software but don't provide to modify it.

Ernie

Why do you always run the generator?

We run ours whenever it's warm.  Any travel during the summer months in the Southwest is warm.  The dash air doesn't cool a 36 foot motorhome. 

Ernie n Tara said:

Ernie

The 1/4 tank cut off has nothing to do with any software. The separate pickup tube that the generator uses is purposely cut to that length. The tube can be extended by grafting another piece onto it, or even a short piece of hose, but the labor to have it done would be costly.

Ernie n Tara said:

Ernie

Maybe you could tee into the main fuel line and run both off the main line?  That way you'd be able to run both right up to the last ounce of fuel.  No software required.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom