Generator quits at 1/4 tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I should clarify my statement. Inside the coach there are separate switches for prime and start/stop. There is only one switch on the generator itself. To prime at the generator, I push and hold the switch in the "stop" direction.

taoshum said:
Maybe you could tee into the main fuel line and run both off the main line?  That way you'd be able to run both right up to the last ounce of fuel.  No software required.

As long as there's no in tank fuel pump, that could work. The in tank fuel injector pumps in modern gassers put out way to much pressure for the generator's low pressure carburetor fuel system.

Even though I have a diesel pusher, my rv has a gasoline genny with its own separate tank and gauge. This makes it so you dont draw out of the main tank, but means filling two tanks with different fuels. It also means if you dont use your generator regularly, you might want to only use non ethanol gas and put stabilizer in it. If the gas sits a long time, you might find it less than desired when you need the generator. Ethanol gas tends to gum up after a month or two. At least coming from the main tank, the fuel is used regularly.

NY_Dutch said:
As long as there's no in tank fuel pump, that could work. The in tank fuel injector pumps in modern gassers put out way to much pressure for the generator's low pressure carburetor fuel system.

Good point!  The suggestion was for MH's with a diesel engine and genny.  I don't know if there's an in-tank pump on those but if so, I guess the same point would apply...?

taoshum said:
Good point!  The suggestion was for MH's with a diesel engine and genny.  I don't know if there's an in-tank pump on those but if so, I guess the same point would apply...?

If the diesel generator uses a similar injector pressure to the main engine, then an in-tank fuel pump would likely supply a similar pressure an not cause a problem. Gas generators typically use a carburetor though, that uses a 4-6 PSI fuel supply rather than the 40-60 PSI the engine injection system uses.

LOL  did no one else read this as "Tongue in Cheek"    Maybe you could tee into the main fuel line and run both off the main line?  That way you'd be able to run both right up to the last ounce of fuel.  No software required.  ;D ;D ;D

Why would it be "Tongue in Cheek" when it could be a viable solution under the right conditions? Back in the day, even tee'ing a generator feed off the fuel return line on injector engines was a fairly common practice.

Sorry Dutch.  Just struck me 'off'.  Sure don't want my genny eating up all my gas when I was not looking onna cold dark night.  JM2?  YMMV.

Ernie n Tara said:
Pet Peeve! :mad: I have 90 gallon fuel tank and almost always run with the generator running. That wastes 1/4 of the fuel tank or 22.5 gallons/200 miles of range. Dumb plan in a modern RV. I have to start looking for fuel about 200 miles sooner for no good reason (the generator uses about 10 gallons per day and I don't boondock often). What's worse, I suspect they do this in software but don't provide to modify it.

Ernie

First world problems can really wear a guy out!  Tell that to an orphan in Somalia and they'll be like "How do you have the courage to go on?"

NY_Dutch said:
Well, I didn't say it was a "good" solution... ;)

LOL, sorta joking about putting a tee in the main fuel line... might work though?  For me fuel cost the same on the top of the tank as the bottom so I fill 'er up way before it gets to 1/4 tank.  I need to stop anyway, take a break and walk around a bit.  If you forget that the genny is running and run outa diesel, you are in deep trouble on so many levels it would be crazy... oh well.

taoshum said:
LOL, sorta joking about putting a tee in the main fuel line... might work though?  For me fuel cost the same on the top of the tank as the bottom so I fill 'er up way before it gets to 1/4 tank.  I need to stop anyway, take a break and walk around a bit.  If you forget that the genny is running and run outa diesel, you are in deep trouble on so many levels it would be crazy... oh well.

Yes, the tee would work with the right conditions, but it's not something I would recommend. We have run our fuel level down low enough that the generator quit around the 1/4 mark while underway a couple of times, but it was while we were in the process of selecting a refueling stop, so it was not a problem to go without it for the short time involved.

Back
Top Bottom