Cross winds and safely towing a travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ant21b

When towing a travel trailer what speed of cross winds or any winds are safe for travel and what speed can you safely travel at in windy conditions approximately?

For me, 40-45 would make me stay put an extra day. Depends on your set-up. You could find some back roads possibly and get off of the interstate. That might help if you have the option.

ant21b said:
When towing a travel trailer what speed of cross winds or any winds are safe for travel and what speed can you safely travel at in windy conditions approximately?
too many variables sorry - how big is the trailer height weight length etc etc  and tow vehicle - what is it? what do they weight - I've seen Semis blow over empty but loaded are fine. we have wind warning road signs that light up at 45mph cross winds to warn semi's but not TT's 

ant21b,  Steve beat me to this,as my post didn't make the trip! As he very accurately stated, too many variables! We see many semi trailer roll- overs in our area, almost all are empty trailers. A heavy 5er will weigh more than an empty semi box trailer, and the semi trailer has much more side surface area! So it's very subjective.

Agree that there is no simple answer, or even a well-understood definition of "safe to tow".  In my opinion, 40-45 mph winds would be very scary.  So would 25-30 mph, but Mark & Kim clearly disagree. Much depends on your tow vehicle, your driving skills, and your willingness to endure stress and risk problems.

Smaller trailers and lighter tow vehicles will be more affected by any amount of wind, simply due to their lighter weight. However, big rigs have more "sail area" and get more wind push as a result.  Gusts are more difficult to deal with than a steady crosswind because you get pushed too & from, but a steady wind is downright tiresome as you have to constantly pull the steering wheel sideways to counteract. I've driven both trailers and motorhomes in strong crosswinds and it ain't fun, even though it can bemanaged.

Another factor here is type of cross wind, steady vs gusting,  as well as the natural and artificial wind breaks.    A couple of weeks ago I was driving my motorhome close to the path Hurricane (then Tropical Storm) Harvey was taking (trying to get home to the disaster area).    I was driving along a 4 land highway along mostly open terrain that closely paralleled a railroad track while fighting constant 20-25 mph cross winds, and while I was shocked to see how much a passing train blocked this wind,  I was more shocked at the sudden surge of cross wind when the train passed.

Much very accurate information here.  The REAL question is for you.  How much wind do YOU feel comfortable driving in with your rig?  That number will probably be between 25 and 45 mph winds.  If you are uncomfortable, slow down and take the next exit and wait for the wind to die down a bit.

I don't plan to take on much cross wind in my travel days, anymore.
Did that when I was an OTR, and have made runs in weather that scared me to death when I just had to be somewhere.
That was in my young and stupid days. (like last year)
I am retiring, soon, and planning on being a fair-weather traveler from now on.

But to answer your question, depending on your rig, I'd say 20 mph is probably about as much a cross wind as you will want to deal with.
And you'll want to slow down for that, because it will make you fairly unstable at much over 45 or 50.
And if it's gusty, it can put you in the other lane in a heartbeat.

20 mph is as much wind as I want to contend with and I don't want to be within a thousand miles of any hurricane.

Here in New Mexico it's windy a lot. I was driving my Dutchmen Denali 2611bh back from a camping trip. Winds were constant 25-30 mph, I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. My stupidity was that I was towing at 75 mph with my Dodge diesel. When I got in interstate 25 the winds were directly from my side and I got hit with some 45+ mph gusts. No fun.

Didn't push me out of my lane, but definitely gave me some butt pucker. Slowed down to 63 mph, much more stable.

So for me, 25 mph is ok, but depends on the direction of the winds and what the gusts are. You might feel OK when towing, then when you crest a hill and there is a valley and boom. Passing semi's  isn't any fun either.

Back
Top Bottom