Wiring a backup camera on a travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ant21b

When wiring a backup camera do you connect camera power to the trailer tail lights?

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want a "rear view" (i.e., always on when traveling) camera, you can connect to the taillight circuit. In my case, I connected to the license plate light circuit, because I have a license frame with built in camera. If you want a true "backup"  camera (I.e., only on when backing up), then tap into the backup light circuit.

X3  Note that the camera needs power to work, so you must have the running lights on to allow power to the camera.  No big deal, but a royal pain if you do not know this!

My TT came from the factory wired to have the rear view/back-up camera always on. This will drain the battery and I did not want it on 24/7.  I wired my wireless rear view/back-up camera to the middle rear clearance light so I can have it on when I want it on. When I want it on all I do is turn on the trailers clearance lights and it on. Likewise if I don't want it on I just turn off the clearance lights.

I use one of these to turn on by rear view camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Voltage-Detection-Charging-Discharge/dp/B01GJM04GC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505053846&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Docooler+DC+12V+Voltage+Detection+Charging+Discharge+Monitor+Test+Relay+Switch+Control+Board+Module

I set the turn on voltage at 13.6 volts and the turn off at 13.0 volts.

That way the only time the camera is on is when the truck engine is running.

I installed this 6 months ago and so far it has worked perfectly with my wired system.

lavarock1210 said:
I use one of these to turn on by rear view camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Voltage-Detection-Charging-Discharge/dp/B01GJM04GC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505053846&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Docooler+DC+12V+Voltage+Detection+Charging+Discharge+Monitor+Test+Relay+Switch+Control+Board+Module

I set the turn on voltage at 13.6 volts and the turn off at 13.0 volts.

That way the only time the camera is on is when the truck engine is running.

I installed this 6 months ago and so far it has worked perfectly with my wired system.

At first I thought this was a good idea for me also but then started thinking, I keep my RV plugged in any time it is not being used at my house. Duh that would mean for me that my camera would be on all the time. Sound like a real good thing for someone that doesn't plug their camper in all the time. Great Idea.

butch50 said:
At first I thought this was a good idea for me also but then started thinking, I keep my RV plugged in any time it is not being used at my house. Duh that would mean for me that my camera would be on all the time. Sound like a real good thing for someone that doesn't plug their camper in all the time. Great Idea.

I gave the wrong voltages.

I just checked and found that actually my turn on voltage is 14.0 and turn off is 13.6.

My PD converter runs at 13.2 volts after batteries are charged.

My truck alternator runs about 14.2 volts.

I did connect my tail light circuit to the camera lead with a diode.  This allows me to force the camera on in case the batteries were low and the truck alternator has not got to the 14.0 volts.  Then I turn off the tail lights as the alternator voltage will most likely be above 13.6 voltas.

The unit can be set at any voltage you want.  It is programmable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom