Hurricane question for my travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikegeri

Hello Everyone
This is my first post and I'm hoping to get some useful information really quick. I live on the west coast of Florida with hurricane Irma bearing down on us within the next two days. I'm trying to find out the safest way for me to store my 22 ft Keystone camper trailer. I was thinking of pulling it up close to my garage door at least it will be partially blocked from the wind. I was also wondering if I leave the camper trailer connected to the hitch of my half ton pickup truck if that would help stabilize the trailer even more? Please anyone with any type of wind related experience similar to this please respond. Thank you Mike

In addition to that, fill all of the tanks and park very close to the building. Showing the least amount of sail area as possible. This is what I would do if I had to remain there.

Personally,  I wouldn't keep it hitched ro your truck for the simple reason, if you have to get out, the last thing you want to do is un hitch and no way do you want to tow it in that wind. Do what you think is best to protect your stuff and say a prayer. But by all means take care of yourself and your family FIRST!! Good luck and be safe

I am actually strapping mine down to the concrete drive, all 4 corners. Figure I have nothing to lose.

Hope we all get through Irma OK.

Tom

I was on here asking the same question about my RV. Good luck to you hope everything comes though ok. I've filled all my water tanks and am setting it up close to the house with the jacks down sharing the weight with the tires. I agree don't hook your truck to it. If it does topple you will damage your truck.

Also, plug it in and start the refrigerator on electric.Don't use the gas until after the storm, just in case it gets thrown around. You don't want an open gas line and pilot light. Having lived thru Hurricane Sandy you wil lose power for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom