Equifax Data Breach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oldgator73

Can't imagine folks haven't heard about this. It affects some 143 million folks:

money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technology/business/equifax-data

Thanks gator... I checked the site and found my info they had was compromised... should be able to sue the pants off Equifax for sloppy data protection! If they want to collect information about us without our permission they should be 100% responsible for any negative outcome... period!

Thanks again,

Keith

Yup, by signing up for the 'free' monitoring you are signing away your right to sue or become part of a class action suit.

Also, their checker tool does not work.  They botched that too!  Whatever it told you is probably wrong according to CNET.

We called our banks today and cancelled our CC's and debit cards.

They knew about the breached since May and played it off like it just happened.
Maybe now some of these big companies will tighten up their security policies.

We called our banks today and cancelled our CC's and debit cards.

Probably unnecessary and an overreaction. Supposedly the info stolen was SS numbers and personal data that would enable others to obtain credit using your personal info, so cancelling your existing cards does nothing except causing YOU inconvenience. On the other hand, Equifax hasn't been all that accurate so far about the nature of the loss and maybe it is more than we know so far. Make your own call.

by signing up for the 'free' monitoring you are signing away your right to sue or become part of a class action suit.
That has been clarified. The legalese about required arbitration and no lawsuits applies only to the use of their credit monitoring service and does not limit your right to sue over the data breach or any losses therefrom. Equifax has already agreed to make that more clear. Whether you want to trust a monitoring service owned and operated by a company that just lost your personal data is a deeper question.

Also, their checker tool does not work.  They botched that too!  Whatever it told you is probably wrong according to CNET.
Erroneous results from the Equifax compromise checker have been identified so I would not rely on it either way.

Indiana offers a free credit freeze / lock with the 3 credit agencies which I have used for several years.  Even I can't open a credit account without lifting the freeze which is okay by me.  I can specify the business or time frame for it to be lifted.  I do plan on checking my accounts weekly and changing passwords more frequently thanks to the breach.

Shame on Equifax for not having better security in place and not being more forthcoming.

Fraud alerts seems to be a good option, except has to be redone within 90 days......no one seems to mention this for some reason???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom